Naval canon VS Fortress cannon

todd281

Registered
Registered
I am in the process of building my second canon and want to know , what are the differences between a naval and a fortress cannon? I did some surfing but did not find anything. Were there any distinguishing / tell-tail traits? Thanks in advance.

Since I have recently started building my first cannon, your post got my attention. I don't really know the answer to your question. I had assumed that the main difference was that fortress cannons were mounted on a stationary platform whereas naval cannons were mounted on frames with small diameter wheels. But, I don't think my assumption is necessarily true. This Wikipedia article may be of some interest if you haven't already seen it:

Ted

The fortress cannon were essentially naval cannons. In both cases travel was limited to recoil and small movements for windage. Field cannons were smaller, fixed to carriages that permitted travel over terrain.

If you look at old forts (Pre Civil War), with the exception of the really huge cannon, and even with many of those, you will find that naval and fort are seemingly identical.

As time progressed from early forts to like the civil war, many of the fort cannons were mounted on track like recoil systems with a single pivot point that allowed for much more than just adjustments for windage, depending on the structure they were working around.

Google Images, Fort Cannons and you will see what I mean.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at quite a few naval trucks and as many fortress types that I could find, and could not find any major differences. I thought perhaps I was missing something. All I could see was some difference in the jewelry / ornaments

Please post some pictures of your builds as I would like to do a few cannons

I think boat cannons have more rope holes on the lighting the fuse end than land cannons I think chocks etc were used often to restrict the recoil, I have seen navel forts where they have the blocks and tackle to quickly pull the gun back to the hole in the wall to fire out of though so I guess an indor fort gun is going to be more like a boat one.

Stu

I will post some pictures as this build progresses. Right now I have the barrel blank in the lathe and it is bored for a 1 inch projectile, although I will most likely use it as a signal cannon like the other one I built. This one will be a bit larger with a barrel length of about 30 inches. I am not 100% committed to the navel/ fortress type as I have a set of 30 inch wooden wagon wheels available, but having already made that type of cannon I thought it would be fun to try this type.

Back when I was in college we use to make cannons. There was actually a range that people with cannons would use to play with their toys. A lot of fun. I am sure that has all gone by the way side now. Back then we could get actual Black Powder, not the synthetic powder of today. I could go down to the hardware or sporting goods store and buy powder and fuse with no issues or questions.

I drew up plans for a civil war field cannon many years ago. Before there were personal computers. Still have it somewhere I believe in storage. Have thought about building it once I retire and get my shop set up again.

Where did you get wagon wheels if I may ask?

Please post some pictures of your builds as I would like to do a few cannons
The cannon I'm building is a 1/6 scale replica of a model 1841 12 pounder field gun (much smaller than Papa Charlie's cannon). I bored it to use .58 cal balls as they are readily available for black powder firearms. I have completed the barrel and have just gotten started on making the carriage. Couple of photos attached.
Ted
IMG_20210323_162700999.jpgIMG_20210323_162833431.jpgIMG_20210323_162854880.jpg

Back