Naval canon VS Fortress cannon

The wheels I have came from a Tea sales cart that was in a Mall in my area. I was doing some work there and they gave them to me. they appear to be oak spokes and steel wrapped rims. They have been in storage for ten or so years so I am going from memory . I will dig them out this week to take a peek . Forecast is for snow here, so might be a bit later. I will also take a few pics of the signal cannon that I already finished.

Talvare, that is some nice looking stuff, Is that something you turned then added the extras? your own castings?

Ted, Very Nice so far. What type of steel did you use? Are those tig welds on the top? Thanks Al.

The cannon I'm building is a 1/6 scale replica of a model 1841 12 pounder field gun (much smaller than Papa Charlie's cannon). I bored it to use .58 cal balls as they are readily available for black powder firearms. I have completed the barrel and have just gotten started on making the carriage. Couple of photos attached.
Ted
View attachment 361214View attachment 361215View attachment 361216

Really nice work. Your attention to deal is great. Here is a replica off of Google. Would be fun to have on in bronze or brass. But would have to sell too many body parts for one like this. They omitted the front and rear sights. Seems like if you look back, it seems to be hit or miss whether they are equipped with sights. Many used a hand held that was placed on the top of the gun for sighting then removed to fire.
Your carriage is coming along very nicely.
I like anything naval or that goes bang, but there is something elegant about a field piece in my opinion.

1617226930507.png

Those cannons are cool. I think I need to learn how to build one.

Thanks for the positive comments gentlemen. I see that I made an error in my previous post, it's actually Todd281 who is making the larger cannon.
Anyway, to answer a couple of questions, I machined the barrel from a 300 series stainless steel and the breech band is 1018 that I heat shrunk onto the barrel. The handles are not TIG welded, but silver soldered. I originally intended to make the barrel from bronze, but after I found out how expensive that was going to be, I decided to use the SS I had on hand. Also, while I was doing research trying to figure out what I wanted to build, I ran across a very valuable document for anyone that is interested in making an accurate replica of one of the Civil War era cannons. Here's the link:
https://www.loc.gov/resource/rbc0001.2017gen19369A/?sp=11&r=-0.686,-0.032,2.372,1.508,0

Todd281- I'd really like to see photos of your cannon as you progress.

Ted

Thanks for the positive comments gentlemen. I see that I made an error in my previous post, it's actually Todd281 who is making the larger cannon.
Anyway, to answer a couple of questions, I machined the barrel from a 300 series stainless steel and the breech band is 1018 that I heat shrunk onto the barrel. The handles are not TIG welded, but silver soldered. I originally intended to make the barrel from bronze, but after I found out how expensive that was going to be, I decided to use the SS I had on hand. Also, while I was doing research trying to figure out what I wanted to build, I ran across a very valuable document for anyone that is interested in making an accurate replica of one of the Civil War era cannons. Here's the link:
https://www.loc.gov/resource/rbc0001.2017gen19369A/?sp=11&r=-0.686,-0.032,2.372,1.508,0

Todd281- I'd really like to see photos of your cannon as you progress.

Ted
Thank you for sharing the link. A really beautiful piece.

Did you pin the breech or is this foe display only?

Thank you for sharing the link. A really beautiful piece.

Did you pin the breech or is this foe display only?
I did not pin that cap on the breech. The cap was put on as a separate piece because the stainless steel stock I used to make the barrel was not large enough in diameter to make the cannon to the 1/6 scale. So, that cap is just there to make the cannon look correct. The stainless barrel still has a wall thickness of more than .700 including at the back of the breech.

Ted

talvare,

Excellent photos and workmanship.

How did yo do the trunnions?

I like it

talvare,

Excellent photos and workmanship.

How did yo do the trunnions?

I like it
I think it's easier to just post a couple of photos of the trunions rather than try to explain what I did.
Ted
IMG_20210402_065310275.jpgIMG_20210402_065336350.jpgIMG_20210402_065436174.jpg

Back