Near Miss

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I was fabricating a new transmission cross member for my Chevelle, and had to cut out a part of the weld. While I was moving the piece the die grinder fell off of the table, I gave the stone wheel a glancing look, it seemed ok. This is a kinda expensive 3M wheel, on the next grind a 3rd of the wheel flew off, and hit me in the shoulder a pretty good wack. It hit me, bounced off of the back wall, and I later found it about 15' away under the car. Leather gloves, Leather welding jacket, and face shield, thank God.......

Have you considered a couple of tool-balancers above your work table?
Once I'd tried them I wouldn't be without them.

@Aukai , I'm glad you are okay. That can be a scary moment.

Related story: my local favourite tool place had a number of 6 and 8 inch bench grinding wheels on the table. The unsupervised kid of one shopper was playing with a couple and managed to drop them off the table. The previously absent parent showed up saying that they were fine and to "put them back". The store owners did the right thing and threw them away at their loss. Personally I think the parent should have paid.

-brino

Similar, Had grinding wheel on a 4 1/2 angle grinder come apart, Still have the scar on my midsection from it. Problem is I did not remember hitting it on anything before it flew apart. Had been using it off and on all that morning. Glad you were not hurt, Well your shoulder may hurt pain wise, but you came out good from the sound of it.

Another reminder of just how dangerous our hobby can be, glad you're O.K. Aukai, sounds like you were dressed for the job. I change wheels on one of my bench grinders reasonably often and always suspend the wheel on a bit of cord and lightly tap it with an old hay rake tine that I use as a general purpose podger. If a wheel doesn't ring it gets smashed.

I'll have to look up tool balancer.

I was using a 4 1/2 angle grinder with a 6" cut off wheel.
I was a new never used wheel. I broke when I started if
right where it bolts on. Best frisbee ever. Flew up between
my eyes and the down our valley never to be seen again.

You break it - you bought it. :grin:
Always love it where there's unsupervised children at stores, estate sales, ETC. around tools and fragile items. :cautious:
Parent-of-the-Year award, NOT.
@Aukai , I'm glad you are okay. That can be a scary moment.

Related story: my local favourite tool place had a number of 6 and 8 inch bench grinding wheels on the table. The unsupervised kid of one shopper was playing with a couple and managed to drop them off the table. The previously absent parent showed up saying that they were fine and to "put them back". The store owners did the right thing and threw them away at their loss. Personally I think the parent should have paid.

-brino

Back