Necessary or over doing it?

Jm1297

Registered
Registered
I am thinking of making my own v belt tool because I have a multi v belt pulley that I can't find any tool to help me put belts on.

Is this necessary or is there a tool that will help me already around that I am missing? I found the one that will get the initial belt on but the grooves further in are the problem.

Big flathead screwdriver?

Big flathead screwdriver?
Really? I saw a guy pull a belt and just install one by hand but I was hit by a car a couple years ago by a maniac late night at the bank and now I can't even run or jump anymore. But I'll try that.

You will need to get the belt started at the start of the groove, force it to roll over with the screw driver blade if necessary, and advance the pully until the belt pops in, then do it again for the next groove. Get as much slack as you can....

Maybe look into designing something to easily and quickly remove tension from the belt to ease moving it rather than prying on the belt and pulley surfaces.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

A single v belt is pretty easy to “walk” on and off a pulley Depending of v depth. Walking a multi V belt will be a problem unless your able to loosen tension on belt. Most likely you will score and cut the belt if tension isn’t released. A lot of time with a multi V belt they will have a two piece pulley that has a sheave on the shaft and the pulley get drawn into the sheave via bolts.

What is the situation? Is this a serpentine belt on a car or a drive belt on machine?

The answer is probably to de-tension the system. Walking a poly-v belt on sounds like a good way to cut up a belt.

Really? I saw a guy pull a belt and just install one by hand but I was hit by a car a couple years ago by a maniac late night at the bank and now I can't even run or jump anymore. But I'll try that.

Sorry to hear about the accident, I hope you at least got compensated.

Whatever you come up with I’m sure it’ll work, will probably require some sort of lever. However, this community is full of great folks so don’t hesitate to ask for help if you need it.

John

Back