Need 1 jaw assembly for a 4 jaw chuck

Jim Huel

Registered
Registered
New-to-me lathe came with a 7 inch, 4 jaw chuck that is missing one jaw assembly comprised of 3 parts. The screw is chewed up, and the one jaw and the screw's retainer cylinder that comes up from the back is also gone. I could make the screw and retainer when I learn to run a lathe, but I'm a total rookie so a faster start might be good. So, ideally I'd like to find a jaw, screw and retainer.

Chuck is stamped as.
No 4207
SOUTH BEND LATHE WORKS
MADE IN USA
BY SKINNER CHUCK CO

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim, I don't want to be a "defeatist" - buy a new chuck. Yes, the screw and cylinder would not be all that difficult. Bto is right that the screw ought to be hardened. I made new screws for a big old chuck I have - that was 30 years ago and they are fine. It depends on how much use you are intending. A 4J chuck holds really well, the jaws don't need to be cranked down hard. The chuck is happier and lives longer if you are nice to it.

That point is somewhat arbitrary, as the jaw would be more of a challenge to make. How much challenge do you want? Harold Hall describes a method for making replacement jaws for a 3J. I think jaws for a 4J would be easier (I think the easiest way to hold the jaw blank for cutting that partial thread would be in a 4J chuck!).

Did you get a real good deal on the lathe purchase? Take some of that money you just saved and purchase some tooling so that you can make something that justifies buy the machine in the first place.

Well, I think I got a good deal on the lathe; i wont know for sure until it is powered up. But I'm also pretty tight with cash, and maybe there is someone with an old chuck stashed in a corner. Hope springs eternal....

Back