Need 2 gib screws for S.B. Heavy 10L

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
they are 1/4 x20 threads.... parts list states 120X60 that's Not millimeters so I don't know how they measure but the screws at all the same size on my 10L
tell me how much you want e mail price to joebiplane@comcast.net I need 2 gib screws please price the shipped to 08328

thanks
Joe

Have u tried ace hardware or a supply house ?

The gib screws have a bigger head diameter than a normal screw you buy in a hardware store. They'd need to be made up unless you can find them on ebay

I don't have a heavy 10, but I know that SB never used standard sized screws in their lathes. Everything was off size. My 9 has some funky pitch. So I am surprised to hear 1/4 -20 , they generally went with a fine pitch.

Have u tried ace hardware or a supply house ?

they are 1/4 x20 threads.... parts list states 120X60 that's Not millimeters so I don't know how they measure but the screws at all the same size on my 10L
tell me how much you want e mail price to joebiplane@comcast.net I need 2 gib screws please price the shipped to 08328

thanks
Joe
I Tried Ace and bolts .com the head on a 1/4 x 20 socket head is too small plan be is to find a 7/16 socket and re-thread it to 1/4 x20 and trim the head and shoulder. My lathe is running ....the screws are the last parts fort the taper attachment. I thought South benr lathe works might still carry them but NO LUCK. I would buy a gib and the screw if I had to.... i can see someone not wanting to break up a set.

I was under the impression that you needed the adjusting screws for the gibs. The screws you need are sold on ebay. Here's the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gib-Ad...114863?hash=item231fc8e4ef:g:hJUAAOSwaB5XsQgs

I've done business with this guy before, he also sells wipers and small hardware parts kits for SB lathes, and is a good dealer with fast shipping. If you only need a part from his kits, he will break them up if you ask.

I was under the impression that you needed the adjusting screws for the gibs. The screws you need are sold on ebay. Here's the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gib-Ad...114863?hash=item231fc8e4ef:g:hJUAAOSwaB5XsQgs

I've done business with this guy before, he also sells wipers and small hardware parts kits for SB lathes, and is a good dealer with fast shipping. If you only need a part from his kits, he will break them up if you ask.
That's not the screw he's looking for. The one he needs has a head on it that is about .555" dia. x .25" lg, with a 1/4-20 threaded section abot 1-1/8" long on it. The one I have in front of me has a hex socket instead of a screw driver slot, probably home made. The SBL 10L lathe uses tapered gibs on the cross slide and compound plus the taper attachment. I believe this screw is used on all of those pieces. The one I have here is off the taper attachment. I don't have any extras.

Off hand, I don't know of a screw out there that can be modified to work. I would make one. Real easy to make. Material, use what ever you have on hand, a piece of drill rod would be perfect, usually what most people have handy for some parts. I know I have some. 12L14 might be a little too soft to use, 1144 would be perfect if you have a piece laying around. 1018 is fine too. Like I said, most anything you have laying around will work.

Ken

That's not the screw he's looking for. The one he needs has a head on it that is about .555" dia. x .25" lg, with a 1/4-20 threaded section abot 1-1/8" long on it. The one I have in front of me has a hex socket instead of a screw driver slot, probably home made. The SBL 10L lathe uses tapered gibs on the cross slide and compound plus the taper attachment. I believe this screw is used on all of those pieces. The one I have here is off the taper attachment. I don't have any extras.

Off hand, I don't know of a screw out there that can be modified to work. I would make one. Real easy to make. Material, use what ever you have on hand, a piece of drill rod would be perfect, usually what most people have handy for some parts. I know I have some. 12L14 might be a little too soft to use, 1144 would be perfect if you have a piece laying around. 1018 is fine too. Like I said, most anything you have laying around will work.

Ken

Your dead on Ken, but my cross slide gib screws have a 3/16 Hex hole to adjust not a slot or ( God forbid, ) Phillips
I'm off tomorrow so I will see what I can create I'll probably Slot the head

Back