need 3 jaw chuck key for 101.21400

LuisV

Registered
Registered
I just bought a Craftsman 101.21400 metal lathe and it's missing the key for the 3 jaw chuck.
I need to buy the key. Anyone have one, or know where I can buy one?

Right now, it would be easier to buy one. Once I have it, I will definitely make a spare.

I just bought a Craftsman 101.21400 metal lathe and it's missing the key for the 3 jaw chuck.
I need to buy the key. Anyone have one, or know where I can buy one?

Measure the size of key you need for your chuck. They are available in a wide variety of sizes, for example:

[Prices probably displayed in Canadian dollars.]

Craig

It may, or may not work. I have a different machine and chucks with the Craftsman name. Both a 3 jaw scroll chuck and a 4 jaw independant that use a 1/4 inch key. I found a mechanic's site (thru eBay?) that had a 1/4 drive socket "T" bar about 6 inches long. And a couple of 1/4 socket sets with a bar and extension. Both are on the rack to use with the machine. Saves having to make one... Another alternative is to find a 6-8 inch piece of keystock that fits and make a bend about an inch and a half up. The good point there is a key on both ends.

Cheap Old Buzzard

Another common trick is to just take a large Allen key and grind the short end square. I've owned 3-4 chuck keys that were made that way!

Clausing may also still have some, although that is probably the most expensive option, albeit the quickest. They do still carry a lot of parts for the Atlas and Craftsman/Atlas lathes. However, they are AFAIK all US made so their prices will reflect that.

I believe this takes an odd size allen, 7mm aprox, or at least that what I first used. Didn't like price of chuck keys I saw so made my own. Was the 2nd or 3rd thing I ever made. Sometimes hard to get enough leverage using an L shaped Allen.

Tim

Back