Need 3D printer help

i can only speak for the creality slicer.
it is relatively simple to learn

i'm using a bone stock HP Pavillion 500 PC with no upgrades
it runs Fusion 360, Tinkercad and the Creatility slicer without issues
computing power shouldn't be an issue unless you have an ancient computer from the 90's

Crealty makes very popular starter machines with good value for the price and lots of room for growth. I think your first 3D printer is just that, the first of several or your last... (see kb58s post above).

As far as computer it seems like many use older computers as a dedicated computer for 3D printers and CNC machines so unless you have a real dinosaur of a computer it is probably not an issue.

I recently got a Prusa 3, can't say enough good about it, but think it is about 7x7" if I remember correctly so much smaller than the Crealty 10.

What kind of horse power PC are you guys using for the 3D rendering CAD and slicing software? From what I think I know, the CAD would need a better graphics card but the slicing leverages the PC core processor?

I'm currently using the following (from system information):

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS 8700
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
(Graphics) Adapter Type GeForce GTX 650 Ti, NVIDIA compatible

Running Win7 and it does everything I want it to.

The 3D-printer is a Lulzbot Taz6.
I run Cura slicer and Fusion-360.

Sure Fusion 360 is nagging about win10, but I'd sooner move to Linux and another CAD package than trust microsoft again.....

-brino

I have successfully run both FreeCAD and Cura on my work machine; a decade old Atom D2700 with 2gig of RAM. It's not fast. You do NOT give the render a mighty whirl like a kid (or me) in a barber chair. One of the keys to being able to pull this off at all is a light weight Linux platform. Any full sized machine built in the last decade will be serviceable if you are wise in your OS selection.

Frankly I foresee more of a time shortage than I do 3D projects.
It sounds like you're in for a good time. :cool: Welcome to the club!

Coincidentally, I teach at at local fablab, and one of the girls there just cast some chess pieces using a 3D printed master. If you get to the point of casting a Phantom ring, I can ask her about materials and methods. For something that small, it looks like a pretty low barrier to entry equipment-wise.

OK, I did it. Just placed an order for a Creality CR-10 MAX... hope I did this right. Any recommendations for the new guy with the new toy? Should be in by next weekend. Had way too many Amazon credits burning a hole in my electronic wallet.

What kind of horse power PC are you guys using for the 3D rendering CAD and slicing software? From what I think I know, the CAD would need a better graphics card but the slicing leverages the PC core processor?

Now I just got to figure out where to put it.
I run conFusion360 on an Acer laptop with 12 Gb RAM. works great. I use both Cura and Prusa slicers but I prefer the Prusa slicer.

Another great one is "SuperSlicer" which is based off of Prusa's version. It tends to be more bleeding edge than Prusa. Both are great. Cura works, but it's just not as full-featured. That said, each has one or two things the others don't. You'll probably be trying different slicers out as you learn what you're doing.

I'm on my 3rd 3D printer. I'm running Fusion360, mostly for CAD abilities with my CNC Mill. Using a used Dell m4800 graphic workstation laptop. It's a high end notebook but about 9 years old, purchased for cheap on Amazon as a refurbed unit. It looks new and has been flawless. I'm a big fan of used Dell hardware.

If I was only doing 3d printing, I would look at Onshape for CAD. It's a real professional product. It's web based, free for hobby and runs on almost anything. I've even tried it with a low end chromebook purchased used (but don't recommend regular use on something that low end). Downside is free designs are not private. Runs on most reasonable computers, but I've not looked at most recent recommendations or product.

Alibre and Fusion360 are also great products. Fusion 360 is probably easiest to learn due to large number of video tutorials and number of active users but I wouldn't expect it to remain free. The upside to alibre is that it purchased and unless you pay for upgrades it won't have constant changes to functionality (not all of which are helpful) like Fusion.

Prusa slicer is a great slicer and works with Non-prusa printer as of latest releases.

I have to give a quick mention about Titans of CNC. Free classes in design and machining. Instead of CAM, you could print on 3d printer. Has lessons in Soldworks and Fusion. Boom.

Back