Need 5yo explanation for Fusion360 project

tonydi

Registered
Registered
I can't believe I can't grasp how to do basic things with Fusion360. Been working on computers since 1982 and up until trying CAD programs, have always been able to work my way through any software and be productive. So I've spent days on YT, looking at all the beginner tutorials (none of which really treat you completely like a beginner) and I'm stumped on how to do this part of the project.

I want to make some simple mini toe-clamps and can't come up with how to make the angles at the toe.

Here's where I am....
f360.PNG

And I want to model the three cuts as outlined in red here....
toe clamp.png

So if someone can give me an explanation suitable for a 5 year old I'd really appreciate it.

Imagine how difficult it is for someone that has no exposure/training at all.
It looks like a wonderful, vast yet complex program. Maybe that's the secret, you need to be a 5 year old :)
I hope you find some help, I'm sure you will on this site.

Try drawing the profile you want on the top, for the angles on the side. Then extrude the sketch but select the option to remove material. The slope on the front can be done the same way, start the sketch on the side.

I am sure there's a better way than what I see, but I'd do something like this:

1) start a new sketch on the side of that existing part
2) draw a triangle that you want to cut away from the top corner; draw a short line right on top of the existing lines from the corner to one direction; then from the corner to the other direction; this allows you to define those line lengths to set the angle. then draw the third line between the ends of those two lines.
3) select the triangle surface, and use the "Q" key to push/pull and specify a negative distance to cut down thru. you can also select a check-box to cut thru the part
4) then do the same on the bottom face to make the two side tapers

-brino

Use the chamfer tool in the modify menu. You can do an equidistant chamfer, I.e. 45 degrees, or by angle and distance. You want the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see two simple-ish solutions, both has been mentioned.

A. use chamfer with custom lengths(I dislike this method personally).
B. draw a sketch from "above" to get the sides and then a sketch from the side to get the top chamfer.

Upside of A is that you can get all 3 chamfers at once
Upside of B is that you get more individual control and can do more than just a simple chamfer by drawing something more complicated than a triangle.

Example of B.
f360 (1).PNGf360.PNG

CAD is a lot like other crafts, there's many different ways to reach the same end result, eventually you develop a method that works for you.

Or, you could just make the damn things----
What ? You mean make it without a print , a work order , a job router and final inspection check off ? Come on John , you know better than that . :grin: The programming and manufacturing engineering and management would be out of business if you " just made the damn things " . Us here over paid masheenists need to spread the wealth . :rolleyes:

Or, you could just make the damn things----

Heh, that's my normal mode....maybe do a hand sketch and then make it. But I really want to be able to at least produce nice 2D drawings going forward and since everyone kept saying F360 is pretty easy I figured I'd start with a simple part. That would give me a baseline to model more complex stuff later on......or at least that was the plan.

@ttabbal @brino @vtcnc and @MrCrankyface Thanks so much for the suggestions but what's really aggravating is that once I try these things the next steps never actually result in anything resembling what I need. I just know there has to be some super simple step(s) that I'm missing after following your instructions, something so basic that none of you are calling it out because well, "of course you have to do that you dummy".

I've taught so many people how to use "regular" computer software over the years so I recognize this problem straight off. I've found that I have to be very specific down to each click or keystroke otherwise I lose some people. Like I'll say, ok, open the Start Menu and scroll down to so and so then right click it and run it. And the other person will say "where's the Start Menu". Or, run this program and then do such and such. And they'll say, "how do I run the program". They'll all say they feel so stupid because they can't get it and I'll assure them that they aren't, that it's just them not being used to how it's all supposed to work. Heh, that's me on the other end of this software now.

Thanks, @Firstram, I hadn't see that fellow's videos so I'll work through them.

Back