need a book about milling operations

outsider347

Active User
Registered
I know, pretty basic question here...

My new Grizzley G0704 is on the way.
Wondering if there might be a book out there that you guys would suggest I purchase to help me along the way

Maybe something like the Southbend & Atlas book for lathe operations

Thanks Gents

"Machine shop practice" by K.H. Moltrecth is a good one. And "Machinery's Handbook" is a must have lots of good stuff in there ...don't need the latest edition or anything...there are lots of them on ebay.

There's also some good basic information in the Army manual............and it's FREE! :)) I believe Nelson just bumped a previous post yesterday.

Steve

I,ll second autonoz's choice of on line videos. Especially the MIT videos. They were made for beginning engineering students with little or no machining experience. They cover use of the machines and basic safety practices that should be used. And the best of all, of course, is that they are free. After that watch for books that have sections on holding down the work piece as that seems to be where you have to be creative and careful.

I have a pretty extensive library of PDF and Word documents stored on my hard drive. If you would like you may PM me and I will be glad to share what I have. I guesss I should get Nelson to upload my stuff because I have been collecting it for many years and it is a rather extensive collection for both the lathe and the mill.
Bob

I know you said you're needing a book but going thru this when I got my mill last year I think I can comment. "Machinery's Handbook" is a great wealth of facts and figures but it won't tell you much about actually operating a mill. Here's where I've learned the most about milling before I even got my mill. Renting the Darrell Holland video series on milling from Smartflix. MrPete aka "Tubal Cain" videos on Youtube. The "Workshop Practice Series" books. Lastly, old military books on milling. I think these, especially Darrell Holland's videos, would benefit you the most. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the U of Wisconsin link. While I had viewed the MIT videos, this one was a new - and good - one.

Back