need a gear made

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
any members set up to machine me a new gear, dont mind paying, 72 teeth 16DP 4-5/8". diam:biggrin:

Making gears was to be a winter project for me, but not there yet, sorry, but I am sure someone will chime in soon. I just turned down a 3" dia. brass gear today. Maybe check with places like Boston gear or McMaster-Carr to see if they have them. I did work in a shop that had a automatic gear maker, just plug in the info install the right blank and let her rip, come back in a little while and it was done. The shop is no longer there and I do wonder who got that machine.
Paul

i found a shop local here after making alot of calls and as it turns out it is a idler gear and i got the specs from the sheldon lathe site on yahoo. 60.00 for the blank gear with teeth and i machine the relief cuts and exspand the center hole or they make complete gear for 200.00 flat fee, but ty so much for trying to help, thats what i like love about this site:biggrin:[h=1]Brewer Bearing & Gear Company[/h]
  • (314) 534-4021

Dang, $200 for a complete gear? I'm too cheap for that. :whistle: Perfect excuse to go buy more machinery in order to be able to cut my own. :biggrin: "But Hon, I saved $200 by making it myself!!!" :biggrin:

-Ron

no, but i will now since i got the specs on it. thanks for the info. sometimes you get between a rock and a hard spot especially if you dont have all the tools and your at their mercy:phew:

Depending on the pressure angle, try PN S1672.

is this the gear number and by whom is it made and has it. ty tony:biggrin: 72 teeth,16DP is 4-5/8" diam

Last edited:
Yup, that's a part number used by Martin. Ed located you a couple of sources. You need to be sure about your pressure angle though. That part number is for a 14 1/2 deg PA. Cheaper than having one made, but you still need to bore it to size, etc. Might need to face to width for example.

Last edited:
sorry for the late responce, rough night. i looked at the gears and their not close to mine, i will try and get some pics up maybe that can help define what i have:thinking:

Back