need a gear made

Well, on most machines, there is a little misalignment in the dial. And you'll probably find out that you should softly start to engage the lever just a little early and when you feel it "drop", push it on in. I think most people either live with the misalignment or make a new index mark where the dial line is.

Well, on most machines, there is a little misalignment in the dial. And you'll probably find out that you should softly start to engage the lever just a little early and when you feel it "drop", push it on in. I think most people either live with the misalignment or make a new index mark where the dial line is.
understand, its not quite a 1/16 out so i think i will be ok with alittle finess:biggrin:

It has been about 15 years since I sold my Sheldon and I have forgot some of the things about it, the gear train being one of those things.

I want to point out a few things about the feed gear train that some of you may know and some may not.

There are two gear paths or trains on the Sheldons with the QC box shown in the picture. These produce 2 different ratios of the spindle to the QC Box input.
In the picture below, the idlers are labeled. These transfer motion from the gears on each side of them.

The two trains are labeled A & B.
The pitch diameter of idler gear 2A must be such that when the shift lever below is in the A position (down), gear 2A is engaged and gear 2B is not.
The pitch diameter of idler gear 2B must be such that when the shift lever below is in the B position (down), gear 2B is engaged and gear 2A is not.

The rotation of the spindle is transfered from the spindle gear to the reverse tumblers to the stud gear at a 1 to 1 ratio. (The stud gear rotates at the same RPM as the spindle gear.)
Gear #2A #2B are idlers They transfer the rotation of the Stud Gear to the QC input shaft and cause gears 1 & 3 to rotate in the same direction.

Gear train A gives a 1-8 reduction (12 teeth to 96 teeth) to the QC Box input shaft.
Gear train B gives a 1-1 ratio (32 teeth to 32 teeth) to the QC Box input shaft.

Though other gears could be used in the 2 gear trains, the ratio of spindle rpm to QC box input shaft RPM must be maintained for the QC chart to be correct. The gears shown on the exploded parts drawing provide the spacing and ratios for the chart on the QC box.

Charlie

EndGearsPic1w.jpg

EndGearsPic1w.jpg

EndGearsPic1w.jpg

I understand some of what your saying, after taking the banjo off last night and counting all the teeth on the 3 gears come to find out gear 2A only has 65 teeth which is another oddball gear:( so some where in its history these gears were changed for what reason i dont know, but i do know this i am going to put it back to orig state, i guess my biggest question would be on gear 2A should i go with the 64tooth or the 66 tooth and how would i determine which one. now gear 3A has the correct teeth which is 96 thank god, when i buy a tool i expect it to work the way it should i dont mistreat my tools and everything has its place in my garage. so when i bought this lathe i knew it would require some work to get her back into original condition i mean its a piece of history that if it could talk oh the stories it would have to tell. thank you charlie for all the info and help:biggrin:

GREAT NEWS my father-n-law brought by one of his friends that is a retired machinist 82 years old he put in a piece of 3/4 round bar searched through my bits and found my threading bit looked at my gears chucked the bar up and started threading 45 mins later in his words [other than one tooth missing this lathe does what it was made too] then he gave me a box of tooling he had and said i hope you have as much fun as i did when i was your age with machining and told me if ya have any questions give me a holler. so cool:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::lmao::lmao::lmao::holdphone::holdphone::holdphone:

The number of teeth is not critical for gears 2A and 2B. What matters is the diameter of those gears. When one is engaged the other one must not be.

Sheldon figured out what gears fit in the space they alloted so I would use their sizes per the drawing.

I labeled the gear as 64 or 66 because I couldn't count the teeth in the picture. Based on the parts drawing, it looks to me like 2A should have 50 teeth in order to fit and function corectly.

The gear labeled 2B should have 64 teeth, based on the parts drawing.

If gear 2A is a 64, can it be moved to the 2B position. If the 64 does not work in the 2B position and mesh with the QC Input gear (should be 32), the mounting bracket may be an issue. It would be helpful to count the teeth on the spindle gear, stud gear ( 1B ), 2A & 2B, and 3B as they cannot be counted easily in the picture. This will provide additional information and help sort out what will work.

Is gear 2B adjustable to fit with gear 3B?

Charlie

Based on your post above, It sounds like your lathe varies from the one I have a parts book for. Glad you have resolved it.

The number of teeth is not critical for gears 2A and 2B. What matters is the diameter of those gears. When one is engaged the other one must not be.

Sheldon figured out what gears fit in the space they alloted so I would use their sizes per the drawing.

I labeled the gear as 64 or 66 because I couldn't count the teeth in the picture. Based on the parts drawing, it looks to me like 2A should have 50 teeth in order to fit and function corectly.

The gear labeled 2B should have 64 teeth, based on the parts drawing.

If gear 2A is a 64, can it be moved to the 2B position. If the 64 does not work in the 2B position and mesh with the QC Input gear (should be 32), the mounting bracket may be an issue. It would be helpful to count the teeth on the spindle gear, stud gear ( 1B ), 2A & 2B, and 3B as they cannot be counted easily in the picture. This will provide additional information and help sort out what will work. had a machinist come by and look at it, he even cut some threads and other than the tooth missing it threads the way it is sepose to, so going to leave it as it is and just get the one gear replaced with the missing tooth but thank you so much for your help:biggrin:

Is gear 2B adjustable to fit with gear 3B?

Charlie
no, its not no slotted hole

yes yes yes:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I would suggest Schetterer. In fact I will forward this link to him.
In case you want a new one anyway.

No such thing as a pest on here. Geeze, I'm the world's biggest idiot and pain in the a$$ and I'm here. You wouldn't believe the things I get wrong.:banghead:

Nelson

I would suggest Schetterer. In fact I will forward this link to him.
In case you want a new one anyway.

No such thing as a pest on here. Geeze, I'm the world's biggest idiot and pain in the a$$ and I'm here. You wouldn't believe the things I get wrong.:banghead:

Nelson
i just didnt want to be over bearing on any one, i know some brains are harder to grasp things and im one of them brains lol but once i do grasp it i never for get it lol:biggrin:

Back