Need a "Gear shaft" made for my benchtop lathe

lSherlockl

Registered
Registered
Hello,

Would anyone be able to make me a gear or gearshaft not quite sure the proper term but its a long gear integrated into a shaft so gear shaft I think and that's what the parts diagram calls it. its from a older Grizz/import lathe and searches for parts so far have not turned up anything but ill continue looking as well

It's the driveshaft for the carriage on a used lathe I acquired 13 tooth though currently more like "12.5" tooth. While I have it apart to clean and reassemble figured I would see if I could find someone with the right tooling to make one. well that and i would need my lathe and a few more tools that I don't have yet to make gears to try making one myself. I have also yet been able to find a good place locally that takes small odd jobs so figured ask around here.

Here is a album of the gear/shaft with some quick dims I can send the part and the gear that it mates too (you can see the lovely off center roll pin placement grrr), I can provide better measurements but figured this should give a ballpark of the scale of the piece.

Thanks!

If it were me, It would be tempting to Repair/Rehabilitate as versus re-make. Either brazing Brass in the broken space, or some other filler material, and file/and-or-"shape" the filled area using your lathe as a "shaper" (which only requires you be able to move the carriage left and right via the handle (no spinning or feed needed). Look up "shaping on a lathe" for more details. Once your lathe is up, you can then make a "better part" if you so desire.

Don't get me wrong, using a lathe as a shaper is a pain in the butt, but it does work, and it is human-powered metal cutting. I did a internal key-way in a steel ring via that method for a spacer which was needed for my spindle. The factory spacer was the wrong size after the head bearings were upgraded.

If it were me, It would be tempting to Repair/Rehabilitate as versus re-make. Either brazing Brass in the broken space, or some other filler material, and file/and-or-"shape" the filled area using your lathe as a "shaper" (which only requires you be able to move the carriage left and right via the handle (no spinning or feed needed). Look up "shaping on a lathe" for more details. Once your lathe is up, you can then make a "better part" if you so desire.

Don't get me wrong, using a lathe as a shaper is a pain in the butt, but it does work, and it is human-powered metal cutting. I did a internal key-way in a steel ring via that method for a spacer which was needed for my spindle. The factory spacer was the wrong size after the head bearings were upgraded.

this is the bit that moves the carriage left or right via the handle or the power feed it just taps into another gear if its via powerfeed, though i guess you could achieve similar "shaping" activity with the compound slide if you were to lock the carriage

I don't have the damaged/removed gear tooth part from the crud and wear it happened along time ago in the prev owners life, but its a good thought. Ill look more into it though I'm not super familiar with brazing or at least without questioning strength or durability of the part. I'm not sure how much left/right loading gets taken onto that gear/part when making a cutting pass

the other thing that occurs to me is there is more useable teeth on that shaft maybe only a half inch interfaces with the tooth rack I could trim it down half a inch and have a fresh set of teeth, but that then also leaves the question of lengthening the shaft in a structurally sound way

and to answer a earlier question a Grizzly DF-1224G aka a DAI FONG DF-1224g (the original oem) ive tried looking up similar sized machines on grizzly spare parts but was unable to find anything with a close enough part to risk buying to try it out

Do you know the gear profile of that? If it is one that I can do with a cheap enough gear cutter, I can take this on. I typically just charge materials +shipping + a 12 pack of beer :)

From the pictures, I came up with module 1.5. Not a cutter set I have.

I started reading up on how to calc or measure gear teeth last night and was a bit heavy reading for a novice, there is clearly a lot more to it than I had thought more so in terms of the teeth and profile than the concepts of cutting them. I will see if I can figure out the type of cutter this gear specifically would require.

Assuming this is an Asian lathe. The shaft is 16mm. The gear outer diameter is 22.5mm. 13 tooth. Based on that the module is 1.5. The pressure angle is typically 20 for this sort of gear. Based on that you need a gear cutter like the ones in this set

Note that some Chinese vendors number from small to large, others large to small. You need a 12-13 tooth cutter, which will be a #1 or a #8.

Assuming this is an Asian lathe. The shaft is 16mm. The gear outer diameter is 22.5mm. 13 tooth. Based on that the module is 1.5. The pressure angle is typically 20 for this sort of gear. Based on that you need a gear cutter like the ones in this set

Note that some Chinese vendors number from small to large, others large to small. You need a 12-13 tooth cutter, which will be a #1 or a #8.
Looks like individuals are about $25 with shipping, though shipped from China. Material is probably $15-20 depending on the metal you want it made out of. So my break-even would be about $60 (so that + beer :) ). If someone has a cutter already, they can probably do it cheaper.

Back