Need a "Gear shaft" made for my benchtop lathe

Looks like individuals are about $25 with shipping, though shipped from China. Material is probably $15-20 depending on the metal you want it made out of. So my break-even would be about $60 (so that + beer :) ). If someone has a cutter already, they can probably do it cheaper.
that seems fare enough to me, If I could find a local machine shop that would do it it would certainly be well over that. Though I may try exploring that route as well if they have the tooling to do it or confidence to repair it.

I did validate or check with Grizzly for spare parts, I was happy they at least recognize the machine and i could talk part numbers but unfortunately spares of this part not available and no suitable alternative part.

So its definitely repair or replace.

@lSherlockl

Here's what comes to my mind:

Of course the base metal of the original part tells you if brazing or welding is possible.

And really, you don't need the gear cutter if you're good with a file.

-brino

@lSherlockl

Of course the base metal of the original part tells you if brazing or welding is possible.

-brino
Presumably you could grind a single-point cutter from HSS and use it in a fly cutter or boring head, and I would offer to do so if I thought I could be any good at it :)

@lSherlockl

-brino

yeah I was watching some similar videos over lunch i could probably i do have two sets of nice Nicholson needle files and to be fair sort of hand sculpting I am decent at as well its what I did before starting to get into machining it just has limitations, but I never brazed anything before so that scares me some, no clue how to ID the metal from the break i know its not tool steel but that's about it. being a import bet is cast iron (seems odd choice for a shaft) or probably just a normal mild steel or maybe something hardened. don't have the tools or a way to figure that out.

My only concern would be somehow damaging the gear in a way that would make it not useful to be replicated. think chances of that are quite slim but a bit of uncharted territory here for me.

I still need to finish painting the new stand for my mill so i can get that setup before even attempting anything so I could at least mill a decent pocket in it.

yeah I was watching some similar videos over lunch i could probably i do have two sets of nice Nicholson needle files and to be fair sort of hand sculpting I am decent at as well its what I did before starting to get into machining it just has limitations, but I never brazed anything before so that scares me some, no clue how to ID the metal from the break i know its not tool steel but that's about it. being a import bet is cast iron (seems odd choice for a shaft) or probably just a normal mild steel or maybe something hardened. don't have the tools or a way to figure that out.

My only concern would be somehow damaging the gear in a way that would make it not useful to be replicated. think chances of that are quite slim but a bit of uncharted territory here for me.

I still need to finish painting the new stand for my mill so i can get that setup before even attempting anything so I could at least mill a decent pocket in it.
I'd suggest getting a really good dimensioned drawing before starting. That way someone could create it from scratch. It looks like it does not have many dimensions, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I'd suggest getting a really good dimensioned drawing before starting. That way someone could create it from scratch. It looks like it does not have many dimensions, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Yep very fair point, I think for now that is the route that i will tentatively go.

I will probably follow up and poke you maybe within say a month ish if your offer still stands or if I hit trouble. I still got to finish getting my mill setup on its new stand and then trammed in before i can take a stab at this anyhow

Back