Need a Lathe - NOW!

JEWLSCustoms

Registered
Registered
I need to get a lathe to turn 2" aluminum stock. I'm finding that EVERYTHING is on BO. I've just joined the forum, and found that PM, Eisen, and a few other are well respected on here, but most of their machines are BO too.

My question - I can get a Grizzly benchtop G0752 10" x 22" Variable-Speed Lathe for about #400 with a bench, or the larger more expensive Grizzly G0776 13" x 40" Gunsmithing Lathe with DRO for about double that.

Seems that every says if you can afford the bigger one, get it. Would I be disappointed with either one?
John

There’s a huge difference between those two lathes. If you are in a rush (i.e. care about time) or are making your 2” stock considerably smaller by machining, then you will benefit from the larger machine.

I have a G0602 and recently bought an older Clausing 12x36. The difference is significant, and the 13x40 is a considerable step further. Not just size capacity but the way it takes a cut is much more solid, meaning roughing cuts can go faster and, for example, interrupted cuts are less of an issue.

The "NOW" bit in your title is worrying. This is when you need to do a lot of research to carefully make the right decision. Now OTOH, if you're a money making shop, and NEED one now, yeah okay, anything will do as long as it machines as fast as you need. Choosing the right lathe can take months, and then there's actually finding what you've chosen.

The "NOW" bit in your title is worrying.
I am a money making business - and I'm currently working on a two week lead with 40 orders in waiting. I need to be able to get one ASAP (my other source dried up, and now I'm stuck without the capability).

Have you considered posting a thread looking for someone to make your parts?

There is a forum here, specifically for that.

13 x 40 is a nice sized lathe. You can do a lot with that. I hope it works out perfectly! let us know how you like it and post pics!

Back