Need a Lathe - NOW!

I bought a G0752Z a few years ago. It was definitely more of a project than an immediately functional tool. I had to do quite a bit of work to get a machine I was satisfied with. Likely I just had a bad experience, but I think you'll be pleased with the larger lathe. Undoubtably, bigger is better ;)

I need to get a lathe to turn 2" aluminum stock. I'm finding that EVERYTHING is on BO. I've just joined the forum, and found that PM, Eisen, and a few other are well respected on here, but most of their machines are BO too.

My question - I can get a Grizzly benchtop G0752 10" x 22" Variable-Speed Lathe for about #400 with a bench, or the larger more expensive Grizzly G0776 13" x 40" Gunsmithing Lathe with DRO for about double that.

Seems that every says if you can afford the bigger one, get it. Would I be disappointed with either one?
John
I saw MSC had some mid size lathes available, Kent and Eisen I believe

I need to get a lathe to turn 2" aluminum stock. I'm finding that EVERYTHING is on BO. I've just joined the forum, and found that PM, Eisen, and a few other are well respected on here, but most of their machines are BO too.

My question - I can get a Grizzly benchtop G0752 10" x 22" Variable-Speed Lathe for about #400 with a bench, or the larger more expensive Grizzly G0776 13" x 40" Gunsmithing Lathe with DRO for about double that.

Seems that every says if you can afford the bigger one, get it. Would I be disappointed with either one?
John
How far is Charlotte VT?

I'm a LeBlond fanboy. that is a very nice machine...

13 x 40 is a nice sized lathe. You can do a lot with that. I hope it works out perfectly! let us know how you like it and post pics!
Thanks - I've just got notice that it shipped - hopefully be here next week! Time to make room in the garage!

In looking at other Grizzly tools (ok, well, just the metal horizontal band saws) they really look like nice pieces. I bought an entry level Baileigh, and although it's been a workhorse for me, I feel that the Baileigh items are a bit overpriced.

Thanks - I've just got notice that it shipped - hopefully be here next week! Time to make room in the garage!

In looking at other Grizzly tools (ok, well, just the metal horizontal band saws) they really look like nice pieces. I bought an entry level Baileigh, and although it's been a workhorse for me, I feel that the Baileigh items are a bit overpriced.
I'm happy with my Grizzly horizontal band saw. I got the swivel head with the coolant reservoir (G0613) as an upgrade from the basic 4 x 6 bandsaw from harbor freight, or maybe northern tool.

I bought a 17” 2hp Grizzly wood/metal vertical saw about 3 years ago. It is made in Taiwan and i am very happy owning it. I found 3 things i think should be fixed. 1 mitre slot in the table is not machined correctly (Grizzly replaced the table but while better it still isnt right). 2 lowest speed is 100 ft/min and 50 or 60 ft/min would be prefered. 3 speed readout is manual switching by pushing a button and defaults to wood rpm readout (speed from vfd/motor). I cut nearly exclusively metal so they got it wrong! ;-). Good service and great value otherwise. The Doall of my dreams wont fit in my garage…

It arrived yesterday! Overall, I'm pretty happy with the perceived quality - still in the process of unboxing and setting up. There was some minor cosmetic damage to the "stringer" that attaches to both legs of the machine, that has the model number stenciled on it. It was not attached to the lathe, and it was bouncing around during shipping (it's the part laying next to the orange foot brake). So far though, so good.

Attachments

• PXL_20210518_202135720.jpg
    PXL_20210518_202135720.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 161
  • PXL_20210518_202127737.jpg
    PXL_20210518_202127737.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 172
Back