Need a longer parting tool

You laugh . I had an Iscar that would've parted that off no problem ! :encourage: I posted this as soon as you posted the thread , don't know why it took this long to hit the board . :dunno:

Bet my Micro 100 brazed carbide parting tool would go through that. No way would I want to hacksaw or bandsaw that!

I mentioned this before on here , but we developed the first drones at my former workplace . The flir camera was mounted in a 15-5 stainless housing that started out at well over 300lbs , and ended up at 10lbs . I took my Iscar tool in and contoured the gimble and housing on a 20" Webb lathe because the CNC couldn't make the cuts . The cuts were angled and over 4" deep , but that Iscar never budged or bent . I'm not sure where that tool ever ended up but I haven't seen it recently .

4" is a serious deep cut! That tool must have been at least 1/8" wide or more.

4" is a serious deep cut! That tool must have been at least 1/8" wide or more.

Yes it was . The insert was .250 if I remember and had thru the tool coolant . I actually bought that tool when in business for repairing well digging drills . It was damn expensive but worth every dime I paid for it . My ex-employer made out well with it also . :encourage: This one has better views of the gimble .

I vote for the band saw. Cut it oversize and then clean up the face. Your are done in a fraction of the time with no stress. Just because you can do something one way doesn't mean that you should ignore better alternatives.

I was using a .062 parting blade, would another width blade be better?

I've parted 3" dia on my flexi 9x20 ok. Just did a bit, retract and extend the blade a bit more.
Used a "t" section blade.
I was surprised it worked as well as it did.

That's the technique I was using, but got into some chatter, the tool post lever started moving, tightened it, and changed the angle of the blade. It all went cattywampus from there

Back