Need a motor for a 0-16A

mariner3302

Registered
Registered
Hey all,
I bought a really nice Gorton 0-16A recently that has a 2hp, 2 speed (1800 and 3600rpm), 440v motor on it. I have taken it to a couple electrical motor shops and they all say it can't be wired to 220v. I have looked into a phase converter and transformer option which is way to expensive. So buying a new motor makes sense to me. The technology is changing so I am also wondering about the DC motor route. Anyway, I don't know where to find a motor that will do the job. It will only be doing the occasional home shop work.
So, essentially, I don't know what I don't know so a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!2020-05-20 16.03.42.jpg2020-05-20 16.02.47.jpg2020-05-20 15.19.52.jpg2020-05-24 15.51.37.jpg2020-05-07 12.50.10.jpgMotor plate.JPGs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600.jpg

Nice looking machine :encourage:
All I know about electricity is there is a bunch of smoke looking for a way to get out :)

My eye is drawn to the 2X4s on edge holding the machine up, at least temporarily, that could end badly.

I guess if was my machine, for home use, I would look at what a new three phase motor and a three phase motor drive would cost. Maybe increase the horse-power some (3HP maybe?) to help with the torque at low RPM. I don't think it is a cheap option either but maybe less than a big transformer. Plus you don't have to be be around 440V which I personally would pay extra to do and you get variable speed control. The contactors inside the control box will be rated for the lower current of the higher voltage motor so you probably want to bypass those.

Hey Red, yeah that is what I am getting at. A new motor is the way to go. What I am looking for is ideas and options since I don't know what to look for or who to call.

Hi,

Congratulations on the new to you machine, I had a 1-22 Mastermill for a while and frequently kick myself for letting it go.

First, as John York says tend to that 2x4 situation.

Then you'll need to take the existing motor off so you can measure the bolt circle and check out how it's mounted on there. It's definitely possible to alter the way the motor mounts and if you can get an inverter duty 220v 3 phase fairly cheap it may be worth modifying the mounts to work.

Your electrical box looks nice but chances are pretty good that at least one of those contactors is shot, if not all of them being out of spec for 200v. You probably want to factor re-doing all of the electrical while your at it since my experience is contactors like yours can be problematic and aren't needed once you start changing things over to VFD's.

Bonus getting the collet set with your machine since they can be kinda tough to source if I remember correctly. You'll probably want to get an ER series chuck and just hold it with one of the bigger collets you have but that's a little ways down the road. First is setting that bad boy down on the ground and rigging some sort of gantry to pull the motor off.

John

in conceivable reality,
i would consider removing the 440v motor and see what the shaft end looks like.
the next thing to get used to is the idea of modification.
i'd start with an inverter rated 2 HP 220v 3 phase 1725 rpm 56C motor and start the plan to fabricate a footplate that matches the old motor.
the shaft of the 56C motor will most likely be short in opposition to the old motor, contemplate provision for extension.
( a turned and slotted shaft stub may be drilled/tapped for a stud, and tightened to the 56C motor shaft that has been drilled and tapped for the stud)
install motor assembly
Install and wire VFD,
program and test- adjust as necessary

you will need to make provision for the downfeed control

sounds simpler than it is, but essentially that's what needs to happen, unless you BOOST the 240 single phase most likely at your home shop, to 3 phase 440v

it is a crapshoot as to which is easier/cheaper to do

Last edited:
You have a beautiful machine that is basically ready to go (clean and connect). The phase converter is a very handy piece of kit. Once you have the 3 phase sorted out, then there are a lot of great machines available to you. The 440V is not a big deal - wait around for a used one to show up (may be some shipping cost). There are no moving parts or electronics on a transformer, if it energizes then it is going to work fine (look for something in the 5 to 10 kVA range).

That is the approach I took, and I am really glad. I got an RPC for my first machine, soon I had 5 machines plugged in. When a 575V machine showed up, I found a good used transformer - now I have 3 machines plugged into that.

Of course you can convert to about anything imaginable (DC, single phase, 3 phase and a VFD) nearly every option has some sort of a down side. You already have a top notch drive system, sure sorting out the power will take some time/effort/$ - but then you will have an industrial class set up. With a phase converter (a few styles to choose from) and transformer the set up is extremely straight forward.

I assume that you got the machine at a good price, spend a bit more and you'll have a great machine and will have spent less money than an equivalent import machine and a better end product.

Let us know how you make out. David

The picture of it on the boards is from when I picked it up. The light was better than in my garage.

I tend to agree that you can put together an RPC and buy a used or NOS step up transformer, which may be the easiest and probably cost effective at the end of the day providing that the machine was fully functional on 440V. There are used/surplus step up transformers that can be picked up for very little. You have a few other subsystems/drives that would also need to be addressed, but it looks like the current machine transformer has a 230VAC single phase tap so that could be used.

I do not see the value of switching to a DC motor in this application when you could go to a 3 phase motor. I just worked with another individual that picked up a NOS 3 Hp 3 ph vector motor for $250 with shipping, but a decent 3 Hp VFD will be another $200-300, and revamping all the electrical components it is still going to get pricey. A vector motor which needs be run off a VFD will got to 5K RPM, and will maintain constant Hp down to 1750 RPM.

Other option that could use the stock motor would be a step up voltage to the VFD with a transfomer, and use a 400-480V VFD, or I recall there is a UK vendor and also out of China step up VFDs that have a voltage doubler circuit outputting 440V. This cannot be used for a power source for the mill, it would need to be hard wired directly to the motor and then adapt the current controls or separate st to trigger the VFD inputs.

Back