Need a motor for a 0-16A

I hate to beat a dead horse, but just so I know you know, 440 is a dangerous voltage. You do not need to reach,and, or touch it, you only need proximity, IT will find you with devastating results. It's great if it stays where it belongs, it's like wearing long sleeves, etc, you just need to heed the SOPs. In an industrial shop there are OSHA classes you need to take to do any work on a 440v system. Just for my piece of mind, thank you.

Thanks Aukai, I was not aware that proximity, not direct contact, to 440 plus is all that is need to let smoke escape your brain housing group!

Yes, the mill ran smoothly and perfectly during acceptance tests when hooked to 3~, 440v.

I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses! Due to the cost of the transformer/RPC/VFD retrofitting options to keep the current motor as is, I had decided to go with a new motor but now the Vector motor sounds like what would work great! One of the things I don't know is motor size,hp, torque, and how they work together. So a motor that says it is a 1800 rpm one can go as high as 3600rpm? As for the speeds, I am perfectly happy to have the engine turn at 1800 AND 3600 rpm and not have variable speed. That gives me the stock settings which I am MORE than happy to have.. So does increasing the hp of a motor increase its torque? What horsepower would be necessary to get its current performance from a 1~, 220v? I don't really want to wait to see if I might find an inexpensive workaround. I have spent a week and a half trying to find options in this category with nothing to show for it except to know that this route, ain' it. I got the mill for $1000 and it is in wonderful shape. I am keeping it. At the same time, I am a retired Marine so costs over $500 really won't do. One of these days I am going to go to the local junkyard. They always have a big pile of motors. Maybe I will get lucky.

I read a couple articles espousing the benefits of DC motors. Constant torque from practically 0 to max rpm sounds good. The motor I have says constant torque too. So I thought someone might have comments that. It doesn't sound like an easy thing to do with the wiring et al..

Also, with a modern 220v single phase motor, I can simply mount it, attach the pulleys, and wire it up. I would put the coolant pumps and power down feed on a separate 110v line. The 4 threaded mounting ring holes are 9" when measured from on hole to another, not across the motor tho.
What do you call the motor face with the mounting as described? I need that to know it will sit right. I can use my 11" SB, like your Ulma, to turn an adapter but if I can find a motor with the lip that the bolts go through, why not. My shop is 24'x36' and I have all the capabilities for lifting moving, and the like.

So, back to sourcing the new motor. I know that there are questions I need to ask companies I contact for options. I don't know what motor "face" to ask for, for instance. The current motor is 2 speed and gives rpm from 330-12000 through the pulleys. Having never used a mill, I don't think I will be needing the higher speeds but, I hate to lose capability that is available on anything.

On edit: I knew that this motor was 3~,440v when I bought it. I also knew I would be spending dough to get it up and running at my shop. I assumed that the motor could just be rewired. Ok, well, apparently not.

Last edited:
I own a 1-22. The motor just has a flat face that could be adapted to pretty easily. I have always thought about what I will do if it ever happened to me.
Nice looking machine.

Joe
20200110_164325.jpg

Wow, that's nice!! I have to save the picture so I can make an angle adapter like you have! I shiver at the cost to buy it... Man, I REALLY dig these machines! From what little I have learned, they are about the most precise you can get for an industrial size machine of their respective era. I like, nay, I love old iron of any kind so if it sits in the corner waiting to come back to life, then soooooo be it!!

Removing the motor is very straight forward. Disconnect the 6 power leads at the motor, take the belt off, take out the 4 alan head bolts, and lift it out.

I found an old pallet lift/stacker at the junkyard some years back. I refurbished it and got it back running. Boy, does that ever come in HANDY!

Last edited:
Will this Motor work? Or one of the ones listed below that particular ad on ebay. I don't understand the ability of motors to go over their listed rpm. Is that the slowest it can go and maintain it's torque/power rating?

If I had this Transformer and a VFD to convert up to 3 phase, I would be able to wire it up to the box and it would work fine?

It dawned on me that I am taking this entirely to seriously considering that this for my home use. I am not interested in 'restoring' it or doing anything that would require it to run like new. I was told once when I got my SB 11" Lathe - Just USE it!! The motor doesn't have anything to do with the accuracy that I need. It just needs to spin the spindle with speed and torque. I can measure the rpm's and write them down. I will keep the original motor, of course. So I will find something suitable and when/if I find something else later on, so be it. Putting all that money into phase conversion and transformers isn't really necessary. Nice, if I had the extra dough, but not essential.... Worst that happens is I smoke a cheap motor.

Last edited:
I would just do a simple single phase 220 volt motor swap so you can make some chips. Keep the original motor, maybe sometime later revisit the topic if you really need variable speed. You may find you don't, really
-Mark

Back