Need a new lathe chuck

Firstram

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 1340 belt drive Jet lathe. I would like to step up to a larger, higher quality machine but since I'm a traveling shop that's not really practical. The 3 jaw chuck that came with the lathe is terrible and it's time to upgrade. Tell me why I shouldn't step up to a Gator 8" 6 jaw. I only want one scroll chuck and I will give the current 3 jaw to someone I don't like if I buy this.

https://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/8galach6jawt.html

I really only do one off stuff thats not high precision but often in sets of 10 or 20. I machine a lot of Delrin and Nylon as well as thin mechanical tubing. I find the the 6" is just too small way too often and don't want to swap to the 8" 4 jaw for a quickie. I learned on a 4 jaw and can quickly dial a part in but, most of the time it doesn't matter. A larger set tru would help me quickly do second operations on low tech parts.

Tell me why I shouldn't buy a 6 jaw as my primary scroll chuck!

Provincial

Registered
Registered
If you are mostly using easy-to-machine materials, a 6-jaw will be adequate. Not one with thin jaws, but one with substantial, 2-piece jaws. Notice that the contact surface each jaw is less than that of a 3-jaw chuck. You can still use only 3 jaws, but remember the limited contact area means more chance of slippage and the workpiece escaping through the larger gap between jaw contact surfaces.

I have both 6-jaw and 3-jaw Buck 6" chucks on an Atlas 12x36. I tend to use the 3-jaw most. I agree that there is little reason to have a regular 3-jaw chuck if you have a set-tru.

An 8" 6-jaw is pretty heavy. It also has less clearance over the carriage wings. If these are not issues for you, I see no reason not to go for it.

Firstram

Wouldn't a 6 jaw, 2x as many but narrower contact points, grip plastics better?

mksj

Active User
In general 6J do not have the holding power of a 3J or 4J, are more prone to jamming with swarf, and a 8" is a bit heavy. I do a lot of repeat in/out and multiple parts, I have a 6.3" PBA 3J scroll Setrite which works well, they also have a 6 jaw version, the 6" versions have a 1.8" through hole, the 8" have a 2.25" hole. But the issue with plastics is they will easily deform with a 3J and can twist out between the jaws. I tend to use a Bison combination 4J chuck in an 8", it offers both a scroll with independent jaws, the scroll will repeat to ~0.001"and for higher accuracy you can tweak the jaws. The jaws are reversible and will hold stock down to about 1/4", I find it is very accurate and for the most part easy and quick to use. Downside is it is quite heavy and cleaning can be a bit more cumbersome.

Gator gets mixed reviews on their chucks, they are direct copies of the Bison, and you can save a few dollars on back plates by using the Gator ones on Bison/TMX chucks. I have heard of qualty/finish issues on the Gators, and when I spoke to Ajax Ind. a few years ago they felt the Bison was a better chuck. Bison and TMX are comparable, depends on the chuck type. Ajax Industries and Small Tools are the common chuck vendors I recommend, and have purchased from both. Sometimes you might find a deal elsewhere. Inventory may also be an issue, although the chucks are often drop shipped directly from the manufacture's warehouse.

If you have you heart set on a 6J, at that price level I would either go up to a Bison/TMX chcuk or alternatively Shar's sells a 6J set-ture style scroll chuck that is 1/2 the price and a few people that have purchased them have been satisfied with the fit/finish/function. Price of chucks have skyrocketed, so tough to swallow the pricing.

markba633csi

Registered
Registered
One big advantage of 6J is the ability to grip thin materials without crushing/deforming. But often you can do workarounds like making
a split collar to hold the workpiece in your 3J if you don't have a 6J
-M

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I machine a lot of Delrin and Nylon as well as thin mechanical tubing.
Jacobs flex collet chuck would be great for this type of work up to 2 inches possibly . :encourage:

Firstram

I tend to use a Bison combination 4J chuck in an 8", it offers both a scroll with independent jaws, the scroll will repeat to ~0.001"and for higher accuracy you can tweak the jaws. The jaws are reversible and will hold stock down to about 1/4", I find it is very accurate and for the most part easy and quick to use. Downside is it is quite heavy and cleaning can be a bit more cumbersome.

I just spent as much for a chuck as I did on my lathe! The 8" Bison combo chuck won out and I doubt they will get any cheaper in the future. Dialing it in should be faster than a set tru and give more consistent pressure than a conventional 4 jaw once dialed in. It is heavy for sure and if it's too much for my 1340 I'll just buy a bigger lathe! The TL's have been calling my name...

Now I need to replace my terrible 6" 3 jaw. I think I'll give this Precision Matthews a try.

Jim F

Registered
Registered
I just spent as much for a chuck as I did on my lathe! The 8" Bison combo chuck won out and I doubt they will get any cheaper in the future. Dialing it in should be faster than a set tru and give more consistent pressure than a conventional 4 jaw once dialed in. It is heavy for sure and if it's too much for my 1340 I'll just buy a bigger lathe! The TL's have been calling my name...

Now I need to replace my terrible 6" 3 jaw. I think I'll give this Precision Matthews a try.
Not everyone has unlimited financial availability.

Firstram

Not everyone has unlimited financial availability.
I don't have unlimited funds by any stretch. I am still working and I have worked my way into a position where the tools I own and my ability to use them pay for themselves. The money left over after I pay for upkeep on my trailer, storage lot fees, commercial insurance, sales tax and income tax, I save. At this point in my life I enjoy good shoes, expensive socks and being able to buy a few extravagant tools a year. Who wouldn't after a lifetime of hard work?

Firstram

To follow up on this, the PM 6" 3 jaw set tru is a very nice chuck and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality 3 jaw. I did order the Bison 8" 4 jaw combo chuck/backing plate from Small Tools, 2 days later Bill called saying the inventory was wrong and it wasn't in stock and wouldn't be available until October, maybe. He offered me a deep discount on a steel body that's available in a few weeks so, with the way prices are increasing lately, I took him up on his offer. Huge shout out to Small Tools for keeping it real!!!

Mr Jacobs, moving forward, let's not discuss top shelf "work holding chucks" :cool:

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock