Need a Straight Edge?

Here is a email I sent to a guy on another forum after he asked me about where to buy a straightedge for scraping his Harding cross-slide.

I recently did a scraping class at Busch Precision in Milwaukee and here is what I wrote on another forum.

I checked with Busch management and here is what they have in Raw castings that will need to be machined:

1) 6630C 30" camel back with 45 angle $260.00 3 available
2) 3338C 36" camel back................ " " 340.00 4 available
3) 6648C 48" camel back............. " " 150.00 5 available On Clearance sale now (Really good deal)

These are pretty big for a Hardinge, but they do have smaller sizes, but they did not tell me they were on sale. You could ask them.

More info I posted:

I bet they take credit cards too. Those 48" are not a big seller for them. The Foreman said, the buyer could saw it in 1/2 and have 2 - 24"ers....

Ask for Bob Behnke he is the foreman I talked to. 414-362-7300

http://www.buschprecision.com/precision_tooling.cfm

Please tell Bob or who ever you talk to you spoke to me to get a special price and tell him the size of the way you need to scrape.
Bob was one of my scraping students if you tell him what you need he can help you I am sure.

A couple of other options is other option would be:

Gregory Dermer
2945 NE 17th Ave
Portland, OR 97212

503-805-0680

Greg was one of my students in the Minneapolis class and has some sweet smaller sizes and I think up to 36" I think he sells castings and machined.

also:
A couple of students bought some from Craig Donges, 8389 State Route 534, Berlin Center, Ohio 44401. Tele. # : 330 502 0066 about 3 yrs ago,

There is a place here in MN that has used ones called Polar Tool that you can Google.

Some times on those small ones I buy Dura-Bar and make something.

I used to make straight-edges and have discovered the majority of folks looking to buy them wants a deal and when you do tell them a respectful price that you can make a profit the complain highway robbery. So to me it isn't worth the time and effort to me .

Rich

Back