Need a Straight Edge?

Richard,
Thank you for your expertise, experience, an candor!
I have much to learn.
If someone really wants/needs a box I'll make you one. However, it sounds unessesary and inappropriate in light of Richards post.

Discussion?

I don't need a box for shipping, UPS appears to be shipping it "commando" if your pic is any indication.

I appreciate the thought behind the boxes, however.

Its pretty simple to find the balance point. Lay the ST. Edge on its back and slide a pipe or rod under it to find the balance point. That's a heavy duty rib but I would suspect it is in the bottom mass about 1 1/2" up from the bottom of the flat and eyeball the center of the front to back. No need to be exactly perfect. You can also use a c-clamp and hang it with a 1/4" nylon rope to find the approx. center-line too.
If you see any Brown & Sharpe Straight-edges around, they sat on a board with edges around it with 1/4" felt on the airy or Rotation of points. I use 30% from the ends. They had 4 little flippers that you turned to clamp the ST Ed to the board. If I find a picture I will add it.

Yesterday I received one PM with a gentle request that I build a box for him.

Anyone else?

Hi All,

I am reading the questions, but am leaving some of the answers to the students to answer. I wanted to show you a pic I took at Busch where I taught a class last week and for Chris in Madison, the fellow who wanted to host the Wisc Scraping class and I helped him scrape his Atlas. Rich

2013-06-24_13-37-42_951.jpg2013-06-28_13-39-12_558.jpg1372427987887.jpg

2013-06-24_13-37-42_951.jpg 2013-06-28_13-39-12_558.jpg 1372427987887.jpg

I talked to the Mike the President of Busch Precision today he asked me to thank you who order a straight edge casting. He also asked me to tell you they will quote on grinding and machining your beds that need to be cleaned up from wear. They now are switching or going a new route to spend more time rebuilding machinery and working with small to large users.

Bob also said hi and wanted to thank everyone too. He said they are coming up with a new list that will include surface plates. They like everyone else has to reduce their inventory for tax purposes. Mike said the company just celebrated their 106 years in business and will be in business for another 100 years. It is so cool to tour their plant, if you get up to Milwaukee WI sometime, give them a call. http://www.buschprecision.com/about.cfm?id=18

What is that long bed used for in the photo at Busch? The one with the indicator on it?

What is that long bed used for in the photo at Busch? The one with the indicator on it?

That is the Atlas lathe bed. I stopped to teach Chris in Madison to scrape and I helped for 2 1/2 days to scrape his machine. I guess I could have said more then this:

" Chris in Madison, the fellow who wanted to host the Wisc Scraping class and I helped him scrape his Atlas."

Chis had got a quote from Busch of $500.00 to grind the bed and thought the .004" would be easy to scrape off, but he and I discovered $500.00 would have been cheap as I scraped on it at least 10 hours and lifting it on and off his surface plate was no fun either.
Rich

The lathe bed looks heavy! Sounds like a lot of hard work moving it around.
Ray

The lathe bed looks heavy! Sounds like a lot of hard work moving it around.
Ray
It took 2 of us to safely pick it up. I would guess it weighted 120 pounds. He had a engine hoist, but it took to long to use it.

Back