Need Advice About Lathe Collets

Kegel exercises are intended to strengthen the muscular floor of the perineum through which the female urethra passes. Weakness of the perineal floor is a common cause of female urinary incontinence and Kegel exercises strengthen those muscles, reducing leakage. I suppose if the lathe user is a female then Kegels will automatically be implemented along with anal sphincter contraction so I stand corrected, Duane.

Kegel exercises are intended to strengthen the muscular floor of the perineum through which the female urethra passes. Weakness of the perineal floor is a common cause of female urinary incontinence and Kegel exercises strengthen those muscles, reducing leakage. I suppose if the lathe user is a female then Kegels will automatically be implemented along with anal sphincter contraction so I stand corrected, Duane.
TMI! TMI! Collets aren't supposed to be this complicated.

Tom

Oh wait, what?

I was eating dinner when I realized my comment about bathroom humor was misconstrued. I meant that hobby machinists, ESPECIALLY ME, are prone to twist anything into something humorous. My apologies, Duane; it wasn't aimed at you.

since this has turned humorous...Save your money and go old school, turn between centers :D;)

Thanks for all of the information. I had no idea that collets covered such a wide variety of things.

I had not been able to find a comprehensive discussion of collets on the internet so this forum was perfect and answered everything that I was looking for. The ER40 collets and chuck mentioned above are exactly what I was looking for.

However I also realized that a 4 jaw chuck can essentially accomplish the same thing. I also need to measure the run out on my 3 jaw chuck.

Thanks Again

However I also realized that a 4 jaw chuck can essentially accomplish the same thing. I also need to measure the run out on my 3 jaw chuck.
Thanks Again

Each tool has its pros and cons. A 4 jaw independent chuck is very useful. It can hold better than a 3 jaw and be adjusted to run true. I would not want to be without one, but I also use collets.

A piece of Mikeys earlier post has a couple of important benefits of ER chucks with relevant ER collets over 3 or 4 jaw chucks.

ER chucks are also able to grab a threaded work piece without doing much, if any, damage to the threads. Don't underestimate the value of this. They also grab without damaging the surface being held like a jawed chuck can and this is especially valuable when the part being grabbed is a bearing surface or if the material is soft.

ER chucks also have no jaws that can take meat off of your hand. I use gravers and files up close to the chuck at times and a rotating jaw can easily rip off a knuckle if I lose my concentration. In these cases, I use an ER chuck for safety more than anything else.

Have you seen a Jacobs Rubberflex Collet Chuck system? When I need to use a collet on my lathe this is my go to tooling. They were made with various back-plates to mount to your lathe, but I don't know if they have a size to fit your 8-1/2" machine

Back