Need Advice on a New Chuck

How about an expanding mandrel that fits the size of tubing he's machining?
What sort of tolerances are we talking about here?
I gather they're not too long or he'll have trouble parting off.
The pieces aren't too long. I order raw materials by the foot, and I usually part them off into thirds before I start creating parts....this way I usually don't need to use the steady rest.

What I'm doing is parting off spacer material in various sizes. So, I'll turn the OD to whatever I need for it to be, and then I'll cut several pieces from it.....usually a 1" piece, a 2.5" piece, and a bunch of .500" and .750" pieces. The thing that sucks is I don't have the reversable jaws that are suppose to come with the 3-jaw chuck on this model Grizzly, which enable me to hold much larger workpieces. Since I have to use only the jaws that I have for the 3-jaw chuck, I can't work on anything larger than 1.5" OD. Anything larger and the jaws just fall out. Stupid.

Should I try holding my workpiece (tube) on the inside of the workpiece? Haven't tried that yet.

Yes, Have a look at these, or better still custom make one for the job at hand. A much safer and efficient option in my view.

Attachments

• 41Q++6onOHL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    41Q++6onOHL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 7
Yes, Have a look at these, or better still custom make one for the job at hand. A much safer and efficient option in my view.
They don't look large enough to do 1.5" OD tube....what are they called so I can google them and do some homework?

Expanding mandrels.
You'll have to find one that matches the bore of the tubes your machining.

Yes, I have done that. It sorta works.
how thin is the part your trying to make ? the last thin walled thing I did was a aluminium shim for my bikes seat post.

If it's very thin you might need to core the entire part. This could be like a mandrill that you super glue it onto for working it so you can hold the mandril in the chuck jaws.

Stu

how thin is the part your trying to make ? the last thin walled thing I did was a aluminium shim for my bikes seat post.

If it's very thin you might need to core the entire part. This could be like a mandrill that you super glue it onto for working it so you can hold the mandril in the chuck jaws.

Stu

1.375" OD x 0.035" Wall x 1.305" ID Stainless Round Tube 304 Seamless

1.5" OD x 0.035" Wall x 1.43" ID Stainless Round Tube 304 Seamless

Back