Need advice on a possible purchase of a Sheldon Vernon #0 Mill

I am keeping my eye out for parts to complete it. I noticed that the single T-Slot table looks like it is for coolant. My 3 slot one is not.
I did use it today for the first time. Drilled 6 1/4" holes through 3/4" 1018 key stock. These parts are for the taper gib mod for the mini lathe.

There is alot of belt slap but other than that it worked. THe collets I bought sit in the spindle nose a bit further than I would like to see. Cheap collets but being able to find anything at all is a blessing.

Here is the badge.
vernon badge800.jpg

vernon badge800.jpg

There are drain holes at the ends of the table for coolant. I still haven't made any chips. Hoping to tram the Rusnok in this weekend. The collets I got fit real nice. We're did you get them?

Yours is a newer model than mine.

Here's my plate...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421316974.036458.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421316974.036458.jpg

I got them here http://www.ebay.com/itm/351228275738.
I had not used any of them except the 1/4" and it set it a bit far. THe 1/2" and 3/16" ones are fine. I have yet to try any others.

Interesting. I thought Sheldon bought Vernon. The badge went from Vernon to Sheldon/Vernon to Sheldon?

I have yet to tear into this at all. The variable speed works smoothly but the drivetrain is making a good bit of racket. Sounds like allot of belt stiffness with the bouncing it is doing. Too many projects. I just thought I would try to do a couple of simple things being the bridgeport was being used by my friend. http://youtu.be/XXKGexOWA2M

drill%20h%20mill.jpg

drill%20h%20mill.jpg

drill%20h%20mill.jpg

Last edited:
That's the same set I bought. I didn't try then in the horizontal spindle. They seem to fit great in the vertical head.

I like your set up.

From what I can tell the base of my machine is older but maybe with a newer 3 slot table on it? The handle is attached to the table and the others share a handle with a square drive.
I read several places that the one slot table is older but info is confusing as I look at mine. Replacement table makes sense.

It is what it is. LOL

Hard to say. Your doors are not the same as mine. Are they mounted on hinges?

Hard to say. Your doors are not the same as mine. Are they mounted on hinges?

Lots of differences between the two. I wonder if the table was replaced on mine? The only numbers I found on mine is 5070 on the front main casting at the top of the vertical dove tails.

vernon%20side.jpg

vernon%20side2.jpg

vernon%20side.jpg

vernon%20side2.jpg

vernon%20side.jpg

vernon%20side2.jpg

Lots of people replace the table with the three slot. I have not, but if the opportunity arises I will surely jump in! Hah.

I know this may seem like blasphemy, but some WD-40 on the belts, and running for an hour at a time will work the "bumping" belt sound caused by having sat someplace for a while. WD-40 doesn't stay around long enough to screw up the belt grip in my experience.

I have a Sheldon 12" shaper and a Sheldon 0 Mill. That shaper sat around for 20 years in it's previous location, without running at all. The belt had a pretty formidable "THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP!" . Running it helped, but the WD helped soften it to it's new shape hah hah.

Are you sure the grease is actually getting to the drive mechanism? I mean, did you pump the heck out of your grease gun in there? You shouldn't really have to, but who knows how often the last owner lubed it?
When I got mine, I ran it while pumping the grease gun until it sounded a little different. A pump every 10 seconds or so.

Bernie

I just brought one of these home a week or two ago. Unfortunately mine is a bit of a basket case, but I think most of it is there. I am very happy that you photographed the motor tag because that is something I am missing. Since I have to buy a new motor, I was thinking of going with a single phase 220v motor rather than a three phase motor. Do you by any chance know what belt sizes are needed for this machine and any photos of the connections between the hand wheel for the speed control and the motor mounting plate?

Welcome to the forum,
You may not get a response from the original author.
This thread is 5+ years old.
Congratulations on your basket case.
We are going to need pics.

Back