Need advice on boring bars for boring head

motormech1

Kenny
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently picked up a decent Criterion DBL-202 boring head off ebay and need to get a basic set of boring bars for it and wanted some opinions on what the best bang for the buck is. I'm willing to pay for quality if that's where the bang is but also don't want to overpay unnecessarily. I've done a little reading and digging but would like a bit more input. Thanks!

I have the same boring head (among others). It takes a 1/2" Shank sized boring bar. My preferred boring bar for this is from Maritool - made in the USA and indexable. Here's an example in steel shank.

I have a couple of these. The one I use with the boring head I have cut the shank off so the tool length is 3" long. I have yet to find a source for stubby-length indexable boring bars - they are typically sized for use on a lathe with longer shanks. At $40, this can't be beat IMO.

I like the stuff from Mesa Tools.

I have tried different type of boring bars (HSS, Brazed Widia, carbide insert) and now use a 12 mm lathe inner turning bar fitted with a dcmt070204 insert. The small 0.4 mm tool nose radius reduces the cutting forces. That gives a better result on my not so rigid BF16 hobby desktop mill.
Some examples

Last edited:
If looking for a set, then may look at the Borite B-500 set C6 carbide tipped boring bars. In general the carbided tipped cut cleaner than insert type and require less Hp. C6 carbide is harder than C2, so cane be used for steel. The cheaper Chinese brazed carbide tipped are poorly made, but may work if just occasionally. I mostly used the brazed carbide but also have the insert style as well as the Mesa tools for larger holes. I subsequently got a Narex boring head that uses CCMT/CCGT inserts, but I prefer the brazed carbide.

I buy APT brand on eBay; they are made in USA. If I can afford it, I get solid carbide. If I don’t have a lot of money, I get brazed carbide on a HSS shank.

Screenshot example. This eBay Seller is fine:

9D597AFE-CF94-43F0-BD2B-8E135B919606.png

I have had no real complaint with the cheaper carbide tipped import bars. I have both 1/2" shank and 3/4" shank sets, and the 3/4" set is notably stiffer and easier to use, so they and the 3" head are the first choice. I think size is your friend, use as big as will fit your bore.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I bookmarked all of them. The DBL-202 takes 1/2" bars. I think I'd like to go with an insert type to start out so a dulled or damaged tip won't slow me down much with regrinding. I'll eventually pick up the other types and learn to grind them properly as I have spare time but right now I just need to get things done. I recall someone (@mikey I think) saying he used cobalt bars because they were better for finishing and better for lower speeds than carbide. Another mentioned solid carbide shank insert bars for rigidity. Does anyone make cobalt inserts? Seems like a good idea. Also, what style insert is the most popular with the most choices? I'm looking for one that is as close to a "do-it-all" bar as possible to get started.

Last edited:
Back