[How do I?] Need Advice on Machining a Part

Look at Micro100 for small boring bars. I have had good luck with them and usually get them off EBay.

I need to ammend my post. The bore is not tapered but two different sizes. This makes things easier.
I would also like some suggestions on a nice small boring bar that would fit into a .25" hole.
I made a nice little boring bar from a broken tap. I could bore 1/8" diameter by 7/8" holes with it. I used it for many years until I broke it one day. I gotta make me another one.

I do have a few broken taps. I've only just got my grinder up and running and ground three key stock peices for practice.
Need to practice some more before I attemp that.

Reactions: Guv
I want to apologize as my original post is not very clear. The part I need to make is part of a reloading die.
Overall length is 1.5".
It needs to be threaded the entire length of the OD @ 5/8".
Originally I thought there was a tapered bored hole all the way through but after checking the original die again I realized it is drilled, reamed or bored hole of .25" for about 1", maybe a little more and .268" for the rest of the way. Probably less than .5"
I would think it needs to be quit accurate being a reloading die.

I want to apologize as my original post is not very clear. The part I need to make is part of a reloading die.
Overall length is 1.5".
It needs to be threaded the entire length of the OD @ 5/8".
Originally I thought there was a tapered bored hole all the way through but after checking the original die again I realized it is drilled, reamed or bored hole of .25" for about 1", maybe a little more and .268" for the rest of the way. Probably less than .5"
I would think it needs to be quit accurate being a reloading die.

I think @Jimsehr is right. You can drill, bore and ream the 0.25" hole through if your tolerances allow a reamer; otherwise, bore it to size. Then you can bore the 0.268" hole afterwards. I say bore unless you have a specifically sized 0.268" reamer.

The bore lengths are short enough that you can use a steel boring bar but personally I would use a solid carbide bar from Micro 100 or my Circle CCBI 3/16" bar.

Look at Micro100 for small boring bars. I have had good luck with them and usually get them off EBay.

Same here. The smallest Micro100 boring bar I use is .180" but they have even smaller than that.

Like so?
I have included a tolerance panel as is often found on drawings, this is not strictly applicable to your part and is just an example, only you can make the actual tolerance band decision.
A drawing is worth a thousand words as cliche as that may be.

Back