Need advice on modifying a Parker majestic grinder

sherman

Registered
Registered
I picked up a free 6X18 parker majestic grinder 2Z it is missing the spindle motor everything else on grinder is working. the motor/spindle style is the direct drive through the back. so right now there is just a hole where the spindle should be. My goal is to get it running as cheap as possible. however I have not having any luck finding a spindle anywhere and this is for hobby garage use, so I dont need anything fancy or high rpm. I was wondering if I could adapt something non standard just to give me a basic spindle with fixed RPM. i am open to any modification. I would like some thoughts and ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have the spindle? Usually they have a Lovejoy rubber coupling, or similar, connecting motor and spindle. It would not be too difficult to adapt a different motor to an existing spindle. If you do not have the spindle either, then measure the opening where the spindle fits for diameter, depth, bolt circle, and whatever else matters for one to fit, and then see if you can find something to fit to the mount. Spindles were often used across the various brands of surface grinders (I assume it is a surface grinder) so look for something to fit the mount, not just Parker Majestic parts...

Alas. no I don't have anything but a hole where the spindle motor use to exist. that is the problem. and I am unable to find a motor spindle combo that fits this machine since its normally direct drive. which limits my options and increases cost.
so if i want to see if I can get this thing running, I am going to have to improvise a little just like you said. I was also thinking that I could abandon the direct drive approach and find an alternative precision spindle (e.g different model or mfg etc..) that would physically fit or could be adapted to fit and perhaps use custom a belt drive to drive it. but i am open to other ideas. this would open up my options to source it and reduce cost. this is what I mean by modification. Does anyone else have any advice, suggestions or experience with that type of modification?

A lot of older surface grinders are scrapped every year. Put up ads in all the likely online places specifying what you are looking for. Any sale of part of something being scrapped is well worth the seller doing. Let them know that you need it!

I still would like to hear from others any thoughts on an alternative spindle motor setup.

This might work for you dont know how your arrangement is. Looks to be in your area can't beat that. I've seen this listing for well over a year so I would beat him up on the price. Price is to high to begin with you can get the whole grinder for less than his spindle.
image.jpeg

yes that looks like it would fit my machine but I would need to check dimensions, yes that price is too high for me.

Sign on to Surplusrecord.com and they offer a free search engine or you can advertise a wanted ad for free...

Back