[4]

Need Advice on Picking Up On-Line Auction Purchased Goods

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Hello,
I learned a lesson-again-.
I purchased 2 small items at an online auction in Littlestown PA. (Machine Shop Tools, 10 East King St.)
The auction house, Rasmus Auctions, recommended a firm called, Craters and Freighters.
I was quoted $738 to pick up, pack and ship to California.
Heck, I could and might, get an Uber driver to go by and pick up the 2 small items, take them to a UPS shipping facility and I would save over $500+.
Any other ideas out there.
I may just right this one off. I'm only out a little over $200 so far.

rgray

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I did that once with an auction company just to test the waters really.
This auction company did offer to ship small items. Bought a collet closer for $15.00 they got all my shipping info. It took about
a month but I got my item after paying $20.00 or so in shipping.
not quick by any means, but worked out fine.

Many of those auctions have a shippers or riggers link to check out first. If it's crazy priced I just forget about that auction.
Seems there are more with absorbent shipping/rigging than there are honest ones.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
The auction house, Rasmus Auctions, recommended a firm called, Craters and Freighters.
And they are a subsidiary of Rasmus Auctions? :) I would go with the Uber driver.

Janderso

I got a response to my follow up e-mail. I understand his reasoning now that I know their situation.
I was told the location of the auction goods is a 2.5 hour away from their shipping facility. One of their employees will have a 5 hour drive time to go into packing.
They specialize in larger machinery.
They do list other riggers on the auction information sheet. Maybe I'll make a few calls first.
Yep, Uber is sounding better all the time.

Janderso

The problem with Uber, when you use the App, it sees your current location. I need to be in Littlestown PA, not Gridley California.
Oh what to do?????
I thought by my age I would not need to learn these silly lessons.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
The problem with Uber, when you use the App, it sees your current location. I need to be in Littlestown PA, not Gridley California.
Oh what to do?????
I thought by my age I would not need to learn these silly lessons.
Local cab company?

4ssss

Registered
Registered
You may want to try a Fed Ex or UPS store. They will pack up and ship it to you, and may pick it up from the site for an extra fee. I remember seeing some info somewhere about that. Regardless, a phone call can't hurt.

Bob Korves

There are many good reasons why I do not bid on auctions, this is just one of them... There are enough other straightforward sellers that I have zero need to go there. I find plenty of great deals without ever visiting an auction.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Perhaps... Call credit card company and explain the situation- you might be able to get your money back
mark

Logan 400

Have you tried finding a local courier service. Many of our suppliers use them.

Logan 400

Maybe they would pick it up and take it to ups. UPS will usually help box it for shipping.

tq60

Registered
Registered
If it can be carried by a teenager then call the local to there mail box stores and such places and see if any are willing to pick it up for a fee.

Most are mom and pop places and may not have issue with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ericc

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Doordash. I just got a card from them in the mail, and they look like exactly the service you are looking for, as long as they have a presence in the target area.

Janderso

Dang, Doordash only picks up and delivers from restaurants. I'll try to contact them directly. The APP won't do it.

Janderso

Logan, I found a courier service. Waiting for a quote.
Thanks guys!

S

SCLead

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Fastenal handles shipping of small items, believe it or not. If they're located in an industrial area, try calling the local Fastenal rep out there and see if they could pick the items up. I've never used this service in your situation, but I've handed plenty of parts to our Fastenal rep to have them shipped somewhere else. Usually very inexpensive, because they just fit it into a truck heading the right direction, but usually not face-meltingly fast.

[6]
[5] [7]