Need Advice on Picking Up On-Line Auction Purchased Goods

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hello,
I learned a lesson-again-.
I purchased 2 small items at an online auction in Littlestown PA. (Machine Shop Tools, 10 East King St.)
The auction house, Rasmus Auctions, recommended a firm called, Craters and Freighters.
I was quoted $738 to pick up, pack and ship to California.
Heck, I could and might, get an Uber driver to go by and pick up the 2 small items, take them to a UPS shipping facility and I would save over $500+.
Any other ideas out there.
I may just right this one off. I'm only out a little over $200 so far.

I did that once with an auction company just to test the waters really.
This auction company did offer to ship small items. Bought a collet closer for $15.00 they got all my shipping info. It took about
a month but I got my item after paying $20.00 or so in shipping.
not quick by any means, but worked out fine.

Many of those auctions have a shippers or riggers link to check out first. If it's crazy priced I just forget about that auction.
Seems there are more with absorbent shipping/rigging than there are honest ones.

The auction house, Rasmus Auctions, recommended a firm called, Craters and Freighters.

And they are a subsidiary of Rasmus Auctions? :) I would go with the Uber driver.

I got a response to my follow up e-mail. I understand his reasoning now that I know their situation.
I was told the location of the auction goods is a 2.5 hour away from their shipping facility. One of their employees will have a 5 hour drive time to go into packing.
They specialize in larger machinery.
They do list other riggers on the auction information sheet. Maybe I'll make a few calls first.
Yep, Uber is sounding better all the time.

The problem with Uber, when you use the App, it sees your current location. I need to be in Littlestown PA, not Gridley California.
Oh what to do?????
I thought by my age I would not need to learn these silly lessons.

The problem with Uber, when you use the App, it sees your current location. I need to be in Littlestown PA, not Gridley California.
Oh what to do?????
I thought by my age I would not need to learn these silly lessons.

Local cab company?

You may want to try a Fed Ex or UPS store. They will pack up and ship it to you, and may pick it up from the site for an extra fee. I remember seeing some info somewhere about that. Regardless, a phone call can't hurt.

There are many good reasons why I do not bid on auctions, this is just one of them... There are enough other straightforward sellers that I have zero need to go there. I find plenty of great deals without ever visiting an auction.

Perhaps... Call credit card company and explain the situation- you might be able to get your money back
mark

Have you tried finding a local courier service. Many of our suppliers use them.

Back