Need advice on removing bearings

SE18

Active User
Registered
Hi all,

I have a 2' gauge railway and some wheels that are frozen b/c most likely the bearings are gunked up with clay powder and rust (they were used in a brick kiln factory).

I've removed many frozen roller bearings in other wheels with hydraulic gear pullers but these look like they require a spanner of some sort. Unfortunately I don't know the brand of these so I don't have access to a data sheet.

The one type of wheel has a lot of indents but the other if you can look close enough, only has 2 shallow indents and a grease nipple in the center. So I am a bit stumped. I don't know if the outside plates are screwed on or pressed in. The axles, btw, are stationary with the wheel turning on them (solid axle, 3" diameter). I'm regauging these with heavy duty pipe.

thumbdddnail.jpg

thumdfafbnail.jpg

I've deal with rusty parts like this and the best thing i've found is heat or submerging them in them concentrated vinegar for couple of days it completely removes the rust.

That is a castle nut and has a cotter pin in it. Looks like you need to align the slot with the hear of the ctter pin.

Thanks all, the non-castle nut seems like a harder nut to crack

Castle nuts in my experience are easier to undo, because they act like a threading die and clean the rust in front of them, i've taken big stuck bolts to my local tire place, they have big powerful impact guns for truck tires and run lot more pressure in there air lines, be sure to bring your own socket that fits the nut, they often say we don't have a socket that fits this.

Back