Need an adapter to mount a 4 jaw chuck to a Seneca Falls Spindle

The 4" face plate has been turned down to a nice fit on the back of the 4 jaw, just waiting on the transfer screws to arrive from McMaster so I can locate the mounting holes on it.

After the first pass turning it down to size, I shut down, rigged up a chip (dust, actually) shield, set up my cyclone vac and grabbed a mask... :oops:

I did this job recently. It's pretty horrible how I did it, but it worked. I asked my machinist friend for help, and he sent me a few website addresses to order a back plate from. I asked him if he could do it in his shop for me. He said no.

So, I made a "blacksmith thread". It involves taking a strip of sheet metal the size of the circumference of the spindle nose. Lay out diagonal lines with the thread pitch and cut the threads on the flat with a hacksaw and a triangular file. Keep cutting until you nail the minor diameter, and then go a little further. Roll it up carefully and TIG weld it or braze it in place. If it doesn't quite fit, blue it up and touch it with a rotary tool with a cutting disk. You only need one or two threads to hold it on. Do not damage your spindle threads when you are fitting it! It does not have to hold all that well, since you won't be using it for long. Make sure that your spindle threads are well oiled every time you put it on, and don't leave it on. That will prevent it from galling. Note that you still won't have a chuck available, so find another way to get a transfer punch. You can order one, which is seems to be what you did. Or, you can make it on another lathe, or you can hack one up with a power drill and a grinder, like YouTube. Once you have a back plate fitted, you can turn anything you want in the 4 jaw chuck. The first thing you will turn is.............a new back plate with a real single pointed thread and registers on both side that are faced true.

I showed this temporary plate to my machinist friend. He shook his head and told me "you never will become a decent machinist if you keep thinking like a blacksmith."

Cast iron dust is something to behold!
Pierre

We didn't do much cast iron at work, but when we did we slathered some kind of hand cream/soap all over our hands and forearms. After rubbing it in a few seconds you didn't even know it was there. When you were done with the job you just washed your hands and arms and all the dust came off. If you didn't use it it looked like your hands were rusting every time they got wet for the next week or so.

PHPaul and Projectnut, I don't know if you noticed but I posted a Seneca Falls Star lathe bed and legs on the for sale section. Not sure if that's anything that would interest either of you or anyone you know that has a Seneca Falls. It's part of our collection at Tuckahoe Steam & Gas Association and we would like to move it along to a new home. There's also a tailstock and we have the carries around somewhere.

Transfer Screws arrived today (gotta love McMaster-Carr...) and I have the hole locations marked on the backing plate.

After my nap (hey, I'm retired, a daily nap is one of the perks!) I'll set it up on my bench top mill and drill the holes.

4j8.jpg

And we're done! Full details here.

Back