Need assistance troubleshooting Enco 12x36

bigloudvtwin

Registered
Registered
Setting up a shop at work. The Enco lathe has an issue. Supply power to the lathe (220), pull E-stop, push power on button, the main power relay closes but when you release the power button it doesn't stay closed. If I hold the power button in and hit the Jog button (inching) at the same time the lathe will run at least till the power button is released. If I hold the power button on and try to turn on the lathe with the forward-off-reverse lever on the carriage the main power relay will open (off) even while button is held in. It seems the main power relay internals are working (contacts, magnet) except it wont stay in the closed /on position.
This is driving me crazy. The schematic in the users manual is pretty much useless to me so far. Any help would be great.
I have the exact same lathe at home and mine works fine but I don't really want to tear into the electrical circuts just to do a comparison.
HELP

Hi, That sounds like a contact failure or a break in a wire.

Make sure that the power is disconnected. Now you can use a multimeter on the low ohms range to check for broken wires. You say that you have the schematic for the machine, if you could post a picture it would help.

Check the contacts in the E-stop button. This is normally cause of this type of failure. Also look for any other switches that might be in the E-stop circuit (door switches, foot brake, ect.)

Hi, That sounds like a contact failure or a break in a wire.

Make sure that the power is disconnected. Now you can use a multimeter on the low ohms range to check for broken wires. You say that you have the schematic for the machine, if you could post a picture it would help.
Schematic is the last page.

Attachments

• Enco-110-2075-79 -Manual-11-13-14.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 28
Sounds like a contact is broke for the run circuit. Would look at run relay or contact circuit. By you holding run button you are closing that circuit. Which when you push run button it should send power to contact or relay to hold until other command.

How many wires on the e-stop button? 4? Also, does the problem occur either forward or reverse?
mark

Check the contacts in the E-stop button. This is normally cause of this type of failure. Also look for any other switches that might be in the E-stop circuit (door switches, foot brake, ect.)

Sounds like a contact is broke for the run circuit. Would look at run relay or contact circuit. By you holding run button you are closing that circuit. Which when you push run button it should send power to contact or relay to hold until other command.

I will chase both of these down on Monday. Thank you

Hi,

Check for a broken wire between 3 and 5 on FR. If I'm reading the diagram right, SB1 is the "E" stop button and SB2 is the on button. The contact KM1 should close and supply power to hold the relay on.

Hi,

Check for a broken wire between 3 and 5 on FR. If I'm reading the diagram right, SB1 is the "E" stop button and SB2 is the on button. The contact KM1 should close and supply power to hold the relay on.

HI. LOL Thanks more chasing on my to do list.

Thanks for all the replies. In the end good ole occams razor applied in this situation. I chased down every wire with an ohm meter and low and behold... the main harness had taken a hit when a couple people inadvertently tipped the lathe over while in transit. Duh! She's up and running now.
I love this site because of the folks on it.

Back