Need "Bracket" for Marvel #1 Drawcut hacksaw

ken holmes

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

Still under the 3 post minimum so not sure if I can post photos yet but the cast iron bracket that guides the saw frame arm of my Marvel #1 broke last week. Brazing did not go well, I'll have another run at it with a different approach, but in the meantime wondering if anyone might have marvel #1 parts they are looking to get rid of or have lying around on a never to be gotten to project.

This saw has been the perfect size for my needs and space so I really hope I can repair it adequately. Don't see anything on the market that might be a reasonable replacement.

It is likely that cast iron part can be rehabilitated by a knowledgeable welder who knows cast iron welding. They key elements are, use a high-Nickel stick, grind deep "V" grooves in the broken edges, and pre-heat the cast iron with a torch first. (some people have used an outside Grill at max temperature to achieve the heating). Why outside? Because the paint is going to outgas some seriously toxic fumes when heated.

It will be better bonded, and stronger than brazing.

The other good thing about pre-heat is that it can boil out the cutting oils that the cast iron has absorbed over the years.
Without doing that, it's tough to get a good braze or weld.
-brino

Back