need brake for wheel - help?

Have you thought about adapting a toggle clamp somehow?
They are those clamps that are used for holding a work piece to a jig.
Kind of a cam over clamp that has a rubber foot on one end and the handle on the other end.
They're adjustable (clamping pressure wise) and the rubber foot could be replaced with a small steel plate contoured to fit the tire...

BIll, a toggle clamp is a good idea and would be easily adaptable. I think I am committed to the coarse screw design if I can find a suitable foot or decide to make a formed plate. It's going to be play be ear when the materials get here. So anything still might happen!

Finished, installed and delivered. Finally!

0740.jpg (click to enlarge - sorry about the crummy picture)

Started with 4" of 1/2"-6 coil-thread rod and 1 coil-thread nut for each side. Big loose threads work for this application by being less likely to be affected by concrete/sand/dirt/etc., requiring fewer turns to adjust, and not needing lubrication. The top end was turned down to accept a wing nut which was welded to the coil-thread. The other end was turned and threaded 3/8"-16. I turned one end of a piece of 2 1/2" aluminum round stock to a semi half dome and bored and threaded a hole in the center of the flat side to screw on to the rod (with a lock nut).
One flat of the coil-thread nut was drilled and tapped #10-32. The opposite flat was welded at a 15° to short piece of 1/2" bar, which in turn was welded to the machine. I braised a wing nut to a #10-32 brass screw. The brass screw jams the coil-thread in the nut to lock it in place.
Pretty crude but works just like the guy was hoping. If he's happy I'm happy.
Now I can get back to my motorcycle!

We had a lot of good ideas here, and most any one would have worked. Thanks all.

I was just thinking of an angled piece welded to a flat and drilled thru the wheel mount a lever type to just kick down on the tire . Almost a wagon type but simpler . Swivel on n off.

The wagon type brake would work except that this needed to be able to put an adjustable amount of drag on the wheel (and maintain that amount of drag). So it was not just a brake, but also a speed governor for that wheel.

Back