Need buying advice for Enco lathes

LATHE #2
Lathe #2 is way too big for where I need to put it. The height and length are not a problem, but the depth is. I have a 24" deep bench top and the lathe is 30" deep. I cannot modify the bench or put the lathe anywhere else; it must go where the Atlas Craftsman is now.

LATHE #1
So that leaves lathe #1. I looked up the G4000 and change gears are $84. I find it odd that this lathe has a QCGB, but still needs change gears. At least these just need light oil and not grease. And the QCGB is for feed speeds, which is one reason I'm even considering buying this. I could get the change gears from Grizzly as long as they have the same hole size.
The follow rest is not available for a G4000. 1. Are accessories available anywhere else?

2. What type of plug does it have (see pictures)?
I looked it up and it seems to have a locking 220V. The seller states it was tested, but buyers need to bring an adapter. 3. How would I test this? Maybe bring a regular plug with bare wires at the end that I connect to the plug prongs on the one on the lathe? It makes we wonder if this is wired for 220 and not 110. I don't have 220. The G4000 is 110 and there doesn't appear to be an option to wire it for 220, at least not in the user manual.

4. Does this use an AXA tool post?

5. What other questions should I ask about this particular model and this particular machine?

The plug could be a marine twist lock plug used to plug a shore power cord into dock power. Also that type of plug is found on construction sites to keep long extension cords from falling out of the outlet. They are sized based on the amount of rated amperage. You can buy adapters to plug it into a regular outlet. A mickey mouse way to test it would be to wrap the wires from another cord around the prongs and cover them with electrical tape. If you buy it just replace the plug with a normal plug.

I was looking online for info about enco 110-0818 lathes and came across the ad for this lathe. Clicked on the more ads link and he also has two metal storage cabinets for sale. He calls them drill cabinets. I would ask him to throw in the cabinets as part of the deal.

I should have mentioned, i have a $1000 and a $1500 threshold.
To explain,
If the machine tool works without major trauma, I’ll pay somewhere about $1500
If the machine tool is torn up or missing parts, or I don’t need it, I will pay no more than $1000

There should be a guide on this site for the proper way to buy things we don't need. It seems to be a common occurance. :grin:

LATHE #2
Lathe #2 is way too big for where I need to put it. The height and length are not a problem, but the depth is. I have a 24" deep bench top and the lathe is 30" deep. I cannot modify the bench or put the lathe anywhere else; it must go where the Atlas Craftsman is now.

LATHE #1
So that leaves lathe #1. I looked up the G4000 and change gears are $84. I find it odd that this lathe has a QCGB, but still needs change gears. At least these just need light oil and not grease. And the QCGB is for feed speeds, which is one reason I'm even considering buying this. I could get the change gears from Grizzly as long as they have the same hole size.
The follow rest is not available for a G4000. 1. Are accessories available anywhere else?

2. What type of plug does it have (see pictures)?
I looked it up and it seems to have a locking 220V. The seller states it was tested, but buyers need to bring an adapter. 3. How would I test this? Maybe bring a regular plug with bare wires at the end that I connect to the plug prongs on the one on the lathe? It makes we wonder if this is wired for 220 and not 110. I don't have 220. The G4000 is 110 and there doesn't appear to be an option to wire it for 220, at least not in the user manual.

4. Does this use an AXA tool post?

5. What other questions should I ask about this particular model and this particular machine?

Most of the 9-11" import lathes have similar 1/2 gear boxes. Most use dials, this one uses a lever. You can switch between a few threads without changing gears, but the gear box is mostly intended to control the power feed speed. To me this is one of the biggest advantages to small vintage lathes, as most at least offered a QCGB for their lathes this size.

1. Some of the parts for the G4000 are available under a different number. They have two ways to look up parts, a downloadable parts list and "buy parts" which is a direct listing of the parts with prices and put it in the cart button. The list is out of date, but the second way will list the replacement part number. 1201A was the follow rest, it was replaced with 1201V2 and is available for $65.

MSC still sells these lathes, and should have parts. Grizzly is easy, so the parts I've needed I got there.

Little Machine Shop also has some stuff for these, I got my QCTP from them with the correct adaptor for this lathe.

2. They do make twist lock 120v plugs, somewhere on the plug is should have its rating and type. Mine was wired for 120v, but I think it can be wired for 240v as well, so I'd look at the plug and wiring, don't assume. Not sure why someone would wire it for 240v, it will run on a 120v 15A circuit with no issues.

3. I think your best bet would be to change the plug right there, assuming it is wired for 120v which I imagine it is. If you work up a price acceptable to both of you I don't see why you couldn't do that. Mine came with a standard 3 prong plug, so somebody added that.

4. They can use an OXA or an AXA QCTP, most people tend to go for the larger AXA.

One other thing you might want to check, particularly if you want to use chucks from your Atlas with this one. Some have a 1-1/2"-8 spindle, and some have a metric M39 spindle. Since Enco sells theirs with the 1-1/2" spindle I thought they all came with that. Mine has a metric spindle which was a bit of a bummer, as I have 1-1/2" tooling for my other lathe.

I'd ask about the change gears, it is not uncommon for these to get separated at estate sales, because they are just gears. The seller might have a box of gears that they don't know goes with the lathe, maybe the follow rest too. If nothing else point out the cost of replacing them and the follow rest during your negotiations.

If he won't budge on the price you can ask what he is smoking. :grin:
These are not uncommon lathes, you will find another one for less if he won't deal. $500-600 is a much more realistic price to me if everything works. Other than being dirty (hope that is dirt and not rust) and missing a couple of easily replaced things it does look like it is in pretty decent and unmolested shape.
The Jet I mentioned was asking $600 and is now gone after less than 24 hours on CL, but it had everything it came with and was a Jet, which many feel is worth spending a little more for.

Chuck has a good point too, if it is a store, maybe you can work the price on one end and get him to throw in something that catches you eye in the shop on the other. Maybe he has a nice worktable, tool chest or something else he could sweeten the deal with.

Like the 7x mini-lathes there is a large community of people surrounding these lathes, and there are a ton of improvements people have made to them.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I texted the seller (they didn't return emails or my phone call) and they said the lathe sold for $1,000.

Thank you to all for your input, I really appreciate it. All this will be helpful when another machine comes up for sale.

UPDATE:
I texted the seller (they didn't return emails or my phone call) and they said the lathe sold for $1,000.

Thank you to all for your input, I really appreciate it. All this will be helpful when another machine comes up for sale.

Wow I'm surprised it sold for that much, but these are not uncommon and usually asking less.

Wow I'm surprised it sold for that much, but these are not uncommon and usually asking less.

So am I. But, there's another one for sale that was listed 5 weeks ago and they are asking $1500. It's a G4000 (it's red). Here's the ad verbiage:
9x20 metal lathe. Has grizzly plate but it’s a harbor freight model. Grizzly, hf, jet, and enco all made same lathe so parts are easy to get. Has new spindle bearings, new feed gear and comes with extra belts, quick change tool post, insert tooling, change gears, other set of jaws for chuck, steady rest, follow rest, and other miscellaneous parts. It’s about 40” tall x 38” wide x 18” deep. 3/4 motor 120v. Great lathe for small shop or just to make smaller parts on. Looking for $1,500 obo Thanks

Here's a picture:
lathe g4000 red FB mktplace.jpg

I sent them a message asking if it's still available.

So am I. But, there's another one for sale that was listed 5 weeks ago and they are asking $1500. It's a G4000 (it's red). Here's the ad verbiage:
9x20 metal lathe. Has grizzly plate but it’s a harbor freight model. Grizzly, hf, jet, and enco all made same lathe so parts are easy to get. Has new spindle bearings, new feed gear and comes with extra belts, quick change tool post, insert tooling, change gears, other set of jaws for chuck, steady rest, follow rest, and other miscellaneous parts. It’s about 40” tall x 38” wide x 18” deep. 3/4 motor 120v. Great lathe for small shop or just to make smaller parts on. Looking for $1,500 obo Thanks

Here's a picture:
View attachment 345871

So they are asking new prices for a used one... Still if they are willing to deal I could see this one being worth $1000 with the, stand, QCTP and what sounds like a bit of extra tooling. That is a nicer stand than the factory stand that came with mine.

I'm still kind of blown away that someone would pay $1000 for that other one, when for just a couple hundred more they could have a new one, the Grizzlies go on sale for $1350 quite often.

Also keep in mind there is a chance the 25% tariffs on import lathes could go away next year, which could see the prices on new lathes drop. Won't go any further down that path, but you do have a working lathe, a little patience might save you some money.

So they are asking new prices for a used one... Still if they are willing to deal I could see this one being worth $1000 with the, stand, QCTP and what sounds like a bit of extra tooling. That is a nicer stand than the factory stand that came with mine.

I'm still kind of blown away that someone would pay $1000 for that other one, when for just a couple hundred more they could have a new one, the Grizzlies go on sale for $1350 quite often.

Also keep in mind there is a chance the 25% tariffs on import lathes could go away next year, which could see the prices on new lathes drop. Won't go any further down that path, but you do have a working lathe, a little patience might save you some money.

Yeah, I'm often surprised what sellers ask and what buyers pay. I can get a new one for about $1700 delivered. The stand would be about $250 more. I won't pay "new" prices from a private party or some store on CL or FB. I often wonder if these people do any research.

Here's a picture:

here is a prediction.....
the lathe was purchased to tinker with.
(maybe) after turning a couple of small projects (poorly or possibly flinging a key from the chuck into the ceiling), the thrill was gone.
the new found joy was to set in in limbo waiting for a new set of hands, to really learn to use the poor machine tool.

they are like little horses, in comparison, they need to run instead of set lifeless in the stable

new bearings indicates to me it was run less than 2 hours

Anyone ever heard of this brand: MINGX (I think). Here's a link to the lathe: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/201058001477102

The pictures appear to be of two different lathes. I looked up both the MX-210V and the WM180V and it appears to be an 8 x 16, similar to the G0768. It might be too small, but I've never needed to make anything bigger (famous last words!).

Last edited:
Back