Need buying advice for Enco lathes

I would think you would want at least room to get your hand between the lathe and the wall for air circulation, room for covers to open and cleaning behind it. So maybe 1-2 inches?

I went and measured my 11x24" Powermatic. The lathe itself is 17" deep (A), and about 19" (B) where the furthest handle sticks out. It is on a stand though, with the motor and speed control in the base so probably not the easiest to convert to bench use. The stand is 24" wide (A), and the speed control handle sticks out a couple inches so 26-27" at the widest point (B). This is just one handle though about 5" in diameter, everything else is contained within the 24" stand so maybe you could work around that.

This lathe is based on a Logan 11" lathe, so I would expect a Logan 11" would be almost identical in size. A Southbend Heavy 10 is also probably pretty close in size. These are all much heavier duty than an Atlas / Craftsman, Logan 10" or Southbend "light" 10.

There are some weird (not well known) lathes out there. When you get away from the well known brands sometimes you can find some real deals. I think Southbend adds 25% off the top just because people know the name. A lot of the early Taiwanese lathes have very foreign sounding names so get dismissed as "cheap imports", but are apparently pretty good machines. The Jet 1024 is one of these and I'm pretty sure it was sold by others (one of the few import 10x24 lathes with a full QCGB).

The Powermatic lathes are kind of unusual and don't seem to go for as high prices as similar USA made lathes since a lot of people don't know what they are or assume they are imports since they have the square blocky style of a newer lathe, not the rounded art deco styling of most of the classic smaller vintage USA lathes. They were only made from the early 1970s to about mid 1980s. Logan is still in business and offers parts support even for the weird "Powermatic by Logan" lathes. Not cheap, but parts are available which is nice.

Rockwell is another USA brand that doesn't seem to get much attention other than the Delta / Rockwell bandsaws. I've seen some 10 and 11" Rockwell lathes, but have no experience with them to know if they are worth looking for, I expect they might be a good option for you, but no idea on parts availability.

The particular lathe I have is a real oddball. After Powermatic introduced the new lathe designs in the 1970s, they dropped 10" lathes from the line up. There must have been a demand because they soon added one which was just the 11" lathe with a smaller spindle. Mine is one of these so called 10" lathes, it has a 1-1/2"-8 threaded spindle with a 1" bore, but an 11-1/8" swing the same as the "real" 11" lathe. The 11" came with a 2-1/4" threaded, L00 or D1-4 spindle with a 1-3/8" bore. Both are variable speed using an adjustable pully and a hand wheel (I think this is called a Reeves drive), pretty simple but a little noisy. All you have to do to change speed is crank the hand wheel, no belt changes are required.

Aaron_W: Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'm not sure any lathe with the motor mounted under will work for my needs. Some of the ones I've seen (and not posted) have huge motors hanging off the back and wouldn't work, either.

I think I'm looking for an early Taiwanese machine with a swing in the 9"-11" range that has a QCGB, power cross-feed and that is less than 24" in depth. They pop up enough on CL and FB, so I just need to keep an eye out.

Another option may be to make a mount to put the motor over the top of the headstock instead of behind it. Might even be able to mount it on the wall above and behind the lathe with a spring loaded belt tensioner. Of course the ideal is to find the lathe you want that fits in the available space. Then again you might even luck into a qcgb for your current lathe at a reasonable price.

I got more info and questions about the lathe in post #32.

He's asking $2,500. It's an Enco 110-2031. He mentioned it was his dad's. It weighs 1,024 lbs. (no stand), if it's the same lathe as the G9249. I found another manual for a 110-2033 that states a weight of 330 kg (728 lbs). I'm not sure which one is right, but I'll go with the heavier one just to be safe.

Here are some pictures of the components. Does anyone see any issues?
enco 110-2031 carriage 1.jpg

enco 110-2031 carriage 2.jpg

enco 110-2031 motor measurement.jpg

1607651887911.jpg

It appears it will just barely fit on my workbench. I will have an inch of clearance in the back, maybe a little more if I can move it forward a bit. I have 4x4's supporting a 25 Ga steel u-channel frame supporting a 1.5" thick plywood top. The 4x4's are bolted to the wall and the floor. I think this will hold it just fine, but let me know if you know otherwise.

I have a few other machines I need to put on the table as well: a metal bandsaw, a wood bandsaw and a grinder. I put the lathe on the right so I'd have room to stick something out the spindle if needed. I could also move the lathe left a little and put the grinder on the right. It's for grinding lathe bits.

I drew a plan view:
workbench layout enco 110-2031.jpg

What is a fair and reasonable price for this machine? Precision Matthews and Grizzly have comparable machines from $2400 to $3800. Add a couple hundred for delivery and tax. It's quite a drive, so I'd like to see if this machine is worth it and if the seller will come down before driving out there.

I got more info and questions about the lathe in post #32.

He's asking $2,500. It's an Enco 110-2031. He mentioned it was his dad's. It weighs 1,024 lbs. (no stand), if it's the same lathe as the G9249. I found another manual for a 110-2033 that states a weight of 330 kg (728 lbs). I'm not sure which one is right, but I'll go with the heavier one just to be safe.

Here are some pictures of the components. Does anyone see any issues?
View attachment 346824

View attachment 346825

View attachment 346826

View attachment 346827

It appears it will just barely fit on my workbench. I will have an inch of clearance in the back, maybe a little more if I can move it forward a bit. I have 4x4's supporting a 25 Ga steel u-channel frame supporting a 1.5" thick plywood top. The 4x4's are bolted to the wall and the floor. I think this will hold it just fine, but let me know if you know otherwise.

I have a few other machines I need to put on the table as well: a metal bandsaw, a wood bandsaw and a grinder. I put the lathe on the right so I'd have room to stick something out the spindle if needed. I could also move the lathe left a little and put the grinder on the right. It's for grinding lathe bits.

I drew a plan view:
View attachment 346828

What is a fair and reasonable price for this machine? Precision Matthews and Grizzly have comparable machines from $2400 to $3800. Add a couple hundred for delivery and tax. It's quite a drive, so I'd like to see if this machine is worth it and if the seller will come down before driving out there.

Not sure if I mentioned it here or on another post, but I paid $1100 for this lathe (2) years ago. It only had a 6" 3 jaw chuck and was really dirty, but otherwise in great mechanical condition. This was in Cleveland, OH so add a bit to that number (we have a ton of used machines).

I really don't think the lathe is 1000 lbs. Maybe 8-900. I have 5 manuals for this lathe from various importers and they all use different measurements of the machine weight.

The totes stacked on the ways in a photo being used to advertise it (post 32) don't inspire confidence in its care and maintenance. This is probably more an issue of the seller not being into machining, so hopefully it had better care for most of its life.

I don't know about a good price for this lathe, as it is kind of an oddity with that long bed. I think you are right though, buying new you are looking at $4000 give or take to your door, so depending on condition and what it comes with $2000 doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Parts could be an issue, I'm not seeing anything similar at MSC, Grizzly or PM.

Some of the older Enco lathes were made in Taiwan, if that is the case with this one would be a plus. The fact the seller sent you more photos (without totes on the lathe) is a good sign.

I Photoshopped the lathe onto my bench. Does this look about right? It's not perfectly aligned, but I'm mainly looking to see if the size looks right. the green behind it is my current lathe.

enco lathe on workbench.jpg

One good thing about this lathe is that you will never need to upgrade to bigger lathe.

Not sure if I mentioned it here or on another post, but I paid $1100 for this lathe (2) years ago. It only had a 6" 3 jaw chuck and was really dirty, but otherwise in great mechanical condition. This was in Cleveland, OH so add a bit to that number (we have a ton of used machines).

I really don't think the lathe is 1000 lbs. Maybe 8-900. I have 5 manuals for this lathe from various importers and they all use different measurements of the machine weight.

I was thinking this was in the $1500 or less range, but other lathes like this have sold for more recently. However, this one has been for sale for about 3 months, so I think it's overpriced.

I've seen different weights as well. I have a scale and an engine hoist; I could take them with me and weight it.

The totes stacked on the ways in a photo being used to advertise it (post 32) don't inspire confidence in its care and maintenance. This is probably more an issue of the seller not being into machining, so hopefully it had better care for most of its life.

I don't know about a good price for this lathe, as it is kind of an oddity with that long bed. I think you are right though, buying new you are looking at $4000 give or take to your door, so depending on condition and what it comes with $2000 doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Parts could be an issue, I'm not seeing anything similar at MSC, Grizzly or PM.

Some of the older Enco lathes were made in Taiwan, if that is the case with this one would be a plus. The fact the seller sent you more photos (without totes on the lathe) is a good sign.

I think you are right about the seller not being into machining. I'll have to ask about the history.

Like I stated above, I'm thinking less than $2,000, but you make a good point. Let me know if I'm too low. I'm not afraid to ask the seller, they can just say no and/or counter. I'm just trying to find out what an appropriate price is. Seems like it would be less than the $2500 asking price, but more than $1,000.

If that lathe is really 12x58 then your photo shop looks short, a lathe that size would be about 7 feet long. Looking at it again though I'm doubting the 58" between centers, maybe it is measured like Southbend giving bed length rather than between centers?

I don't really follow lathes this size that closely, but if you could get it for $1500-2000 I'd think you did pretty well. Considering that is seems to fit your space where many other 12" lathes don't that alone might be worth accepting the sellers price assuming it is in decent shape.

It does seem to me that locally machines have been drying up on CL the past several months. Not sure if is seasonal, Covid related or something else.

Back