Need clamping plate for Busy Bee B-244 tailstock

I found an amazing deal on an ancient [milling machine], pretty much free to a good home, just had to provide a forklift/transportation, but it was designed to run on 600 volts (three phase), didn't know how I could make that work at my house :(
Free? Let me be the first to say, "You Suck"! ;)

There are several options to convert household single phase power to 3 phase. They have to be sized specifically to the motor that you want to run and that drives the cost. For a mill, a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) is likely to be the best choice since it also allows you to control the speed of the motor. Others here will have more experience with that than I have.

Craig

Oh baby, that could be super useful! What milling machine do you have? I found an amazing deal on an ancient one, pretty much free to a good home, just had to provide a forklift/transportation, but it was designed to run on 600 volts (three phase), didn't know how I could make that work at my house :(

Another user on this forum sent me a PM and he has a brand new clamping plate for it, part# is P2445011, I just gotta pay postage, nice!! I'll give that a go and if I break it again I'll get a better one made :)

I'll post up a pic when I get it.

Thanks again everyone.

-Jamie M.
It is a First mill, don't remember the model

Oh baby, that could be super useful! What milling machine do you have? I found an amazing deal on an ancient one, pretty much free to a good home, just had to provide a forklift/transportation, but it was designed to run on 600 volts (three phase), didn't know how I could make that work at my house :(

Thanks again everyone.

-Jamie M.

My goodness, get it if you can. The 600V 3ø is not a difficult issue to sort out. Go through the "Electrical Issues" portion of this web site - that question is about the second most ask topic that we see (the first one being "should I get this . . . . ", dumb question because the answer is always "yes").

The 600V and the 3 phase are two separate issues. Each can be dealt with a few different ways. The approach that is right for you will depend on what your present set up is and what your future intentions are. 3ø powered machines, and 600V machines are likely to be industrial quality (good) and the power issues will dissuade other buyers (also good). Go into it with your eyes open - just because it is "pretty much free" still means you'll have plenty of spend to get everything working well.

First issue is sorting out the 3ø. I went the approach of a "whole shop" solution. If you are in this game very long, you'll get other machines, and 3ø power is the norm. The ability to plug in and go, the main motor, secondary motors, controls - everything works as originally designed - it is awesome. I set myself up a little 3ø distribution system - over the years I've picked up additional machines (at 10 3ø machines now).

Second issue is the 600V. When I got my first 600V machine, it would have been quite a chore to swap over to 240V (the main motor would have been easy, but the feed motor would have been really difficult). I was able to get a good used little 3ø transformer. I have since acquired two more 600V machines - again they are now very easy to power up (and came essentially "free").

Don't expect "something for nothing". Let's say you get that "First mill" really cheap - First is a good brand. It will cost you a bit to move it, then it costs a little to power it, there will be pieces missing & broken (at least for every "cheap" machine I have hauled home there have been numerous minor issues), it will need to be cleaned and serviced, you'll need to buy tooling - and you can reasonably end up with a decent and capable machine for 5%-20% of what a new machine would have cost you.

"Pretty much free" does not mean anything. Look at the end cost. I have, and I've been able to equip / afford a very nice little shop with some excellent capabilities (it was not free, but it didn't break the bank).

Let us know how you make out. David

If you get the mill, I have a 220-550 single phase transformer I'm not using and depending on the amps a vfd as well.

Parts came in today! Woot! Part number says P244-5011 OR P244 5011 :)

P244_5011_BusyBee_Lathe_Tailstock_Clamping_Plate_for_model_B-244.jpg

-Jamie M.

Do you mean Busy Bee supplied the part (for a 35 year old machine)? Or from somewhere else?

Craig

Do you mean Busy Bee supplied the part (for a 35 year old machine)? Or from somewhere else?
A member on this forum sent me a PM (see post #9 above) saying that he had two brand new (old stock) clamping plates but no longer had the lathe, so he sent them to me for free, I just had to cover postage :)

-Jamie M.

FINALLY got a chance to make some chips tonight! Woot :)

Warning to headphone users: high pitched sound!

That video is that last part I was making (40mm Delrin projectile), excuse the aluminum shavings all over from making the first part (40mm aluminum hull) :)

New tailstock clamping plate worked perfect, drilled some 15mm holes (pictured) in aluminum aggressively, didn't budge one mm!

IMG_20190801_212812.jpg

That's a press fit, that post into the hole (post is 15.25mm, hole is a hair over 15mm, VERY tight fit, lol). Used my 2 ton arbor press to do it, was barely enough! I'm going to have to invest in a real press one day, one of those hydraulic 20 ton ones or whatever.

IMG_20190801_215844.jpg

IMG_20190801_220058.jpg

IMG_20190801_215914.jpg

Time to launch :D

-Jamie M.

Back