Need clarity on this machine

Ah, much learned- thanks!
-M
Someday I'll be buying one

Last edited:
No, not instantly. The spindle needs to decelerate to a smooth stop and then accelerate to speed in the reverse direction. The Z axis only needs to accurately follow the motion of the spindle. But visually, the cycle can look almost instantaneous, but instant like flipping a switch, would not work well.
Jim , every cnc I've ever run had instant reversing both on the mills and lathes . Are you talking about smaller machines here ?

I'm done outside . Here is a pic of a few floating heads I use , these are both Royal heads . They can draw forward as well as backwards . The one has a 6-32 tap still in it from a job ( of course a Guhring ) . I sold my Handinges 5/8ths TT heads and collets awhile back . Nice heads and expensive as well . :)

Attachments

• IMG_9312.JPG
    IMG_9312.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9313.JPG
    IMG_9313.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 8
Jim , every cnc I've ever run had instant reversing both on the mills and lathes . Are you talking about smaller machines here ?

It just appears to be instant, believe me it's not. My lathe, with a servo spindle for instance takes almost 250 ms to decel, stop, and accel in reverse when rigid tapping. It's fast enough that it looks instant. Before I put the servo spindle in it, the decel/accel time was about 3 seconds.

On my Eagle mill, the spindle decel/accel is set to 3 seconds. The Haas is a bit faster, but it has a servo spindle.

Last edited:
CNC looks like fun- trying to dilute my massive igorance somewhat before I even think about shopping for one.
I think I would get something like the machine above, older, but running and upgradable, rather than trying to do a full conversion
from scratch
Time matters when you get to be my age (67)

CNC looks like fun- trying to dilute my massive igorance somewhat before I even think about shopping for one.
I think I would get something like the machine above, older, but running and upgradable, rather than trying to do a full conversion
from scratch
Time matters when you get to be my age (67)

Actually that machine is a good starter CNC machine. It is both manual and CNC, the hand wheels are just not on it. I have it's slightly larger cousin, 4VK frame vs. 3VK frame for that one. The only real drawback on that machine is no manual quill without a bit of modification. Mine started life as a 2 axis CNC so had a manual quill to start with, I added the quill (Z) axis later with a quick changeover manual/CNC.

Last edited:
I was wondering when you said manual cause I didn't see handwheels on it- got it. So this unit has servo motors not steppers- easier to crank manually with power off? Or are there couplings that disengage the motors?
For the quill I'm guessing you need to install some type of quick disengagement device? Is that difficult?
-M

Last edited:
I was wondering when you said manual cause I didn't see handwheels on it- got it.
So this unit has servo motors not steppers- easier to crank manually with power off? Or are there couplings that disengage the motors?
Yes, it has brushed DC servos, you don't even know they are there when hand cranking.
For the quill I'm guessing you need to install some type of quick disengagement device? Is that difficult?
-M

On that machine, I think the ball nut is secured to the quill with 2 screws. If you removed those screws it should release the quill and allow manual operation. The question is: Is the pinion gear and shaft in there for manual feed? Or did the upfitter remove that hardware? Those machines were imported to the US and Canada from Taiwan, and the CNC install was done here. Not sure if they were imported as ''CNC install'' ready or if they were just a stock machine.

EDIT: After looking at the pictures again, that machine has the quill handle on it, so it should be semi-quick change over to manual quill.

It also looks like it has square knee ways, so it may actually be a 5VK frame, never seen one before with a 9x49 table, normally I would expect a 10x54 table on that machine. The 5VK frame is the next step up from mine, and the largest frame. Supermax mills were very high quality, made by Topwell in Taiwan. As good if not better than Bridgeport.

Last edited:
Good info, thanks. I was wondering if Supermax were good- I've heard of that name Topwell
:)
Oh by the way, how's your Haas running?

Back