Need Craftsman info

Robert,

I was re reading the posts on this thread, and you mentioned about a carriage with power cross feed, My carriage has been changed to accept a 3/4" lead screw with out power cross feed and finding a 42" 5/8 lead screw and carriage gear box, has been so far impossible. I am assuming that when they changed my lead screw from a 5/8 to a 3/4 they changed the half nut and the carriage gear box,mine of which is a cobbled mess.

My question is what carriage can I replace this one to get power cross feed?

Thanks.

Update on the lathe, it has been very easy to find the gears and pulley's I needed on Craigs list, and ebay. I did purchae an electeric motor and it will arrive later this next week. I am looking forward to spit some chips with the lathe.

Just noticed your cat in the back on that one photo- lol
I believe any of the later 12" carriages would fit on your bed and they did change to 3/4" leadscrews at some point in the 60s ? I think.
There may be an early bed and a late bed however which may have different way dimensions.
Robert is the expert on this stuff, maybe he'll jump in.
Mark

Short answer is any pre-1958 Atlas built carriage that has the separate saddle and apron. Models would be off of any Atlas 10F including the QC models and Craftsman 101.07403, 101.27430 and 101.27440. Anything off of any of the 1/2" bed machines won't work without major modifications.. And maybe not even then.

You might post a close up picture of your carriage and apron. It is possible that when they replaced the lead screw they also replaced those items. It is hard to see in pictures that you put up.

Ok, I added the photos of the apron of the carraige, I am pretty sure this carriage does not have power cross feed, and the other items I am looking for, the gear case does work so I can use it until I find one. the lead screw tail bearing is very much in need.

DSC01907.JPG

DSC01908.JPG

DSC01909.JPG

DSC01910.JPG

DSC01913.JPG

DSC01914.JPG

I also need to know what size belts to get for the lathe. I have been toying with the the idea of a link belt on the machines. But since the machine is apart and not to difficult to take apart, does any one have the belt size numbers. Thanks!

You are correct you have the old carrage and apron that has been modified. It is my understanding that the 10" Atlas and 12" Craftsman lathes until the late 50's all had the same 3/8" bed ways and you can interchange the different assembly's on them The new lathes had 1/2" ways and those parts are not interchangeable. The gear cases and the QCGB all had the 5/8" output and the 3/4" lead screws had the end turned down to 5/8" to fit them.

Not sure on the belt size but when I replaced my belts I took the old belts to the local NAPA store and purchased new ones from them.

I am sure that Robert will have a lot more information than I am able to provide.

BBQ,

Whomever changed your machine to the larger 3/4" lead screw did have to have replaced the half nuts because with the smaller ones installed, they could not have put the lead screw through them. but the half nut guide did not have to be changed.

They did not change the carriage, and you cannot install the power cross feed on a one-piece carriage. For one thing, the detent ball and spring for the shaft carrying the movable gear that engages and disengages cross feed drive fits in a hole in the top of the apron and is retained by bolting the apron to the saddle. I listed the model numbers with two-piece saddles in an earlier post. All of the same models will also have had the proper right lead screw bearing. And in addition, the first version of the 1/2" bed machines made between late 1957 and early 1967 used the same 10F-16 bearing and L5-35-nnA (where "nn" is the bed length) lead screw as the 101.07403, 27430 and 27440. The lead screw off of the 10F including the QC variants are the wrong length.

Do not, however, attempt to use the bearing or the lead screw from the final 1/2" bed 12" version The lead screw is too short and ends at 3/4" diameter instead of 5/8". The bearing is too strong. If you ever do have a crash under power, the earlier 10F-16 bearing will break off and at least limit the damage. The later one will definitely not break off and damage elsewhere will be much greater.

Belts for all of the 3/8" bed 12" machines are 4L350 for motor and 4L310 for spindle. The link belts have only one advantage over new V-belts - you can change the spindle belt without pulling the spindle. In all other regards, they are inferior.

It has been a lot of elbow grease to get it all clean, it has been going together very nicely, now to get the woodruff key slot cut in the new countershaft and the rebuild will be complete.

627FA5BE-EC3B-4556-8497-C68E6322E938.jpeg

D3C1E69C-0297-48ED-B131-E29F019DBCCC.jpeg

I know a few of you mentioned my Kitty in one of the pictures, well she has found a new spot to sit.

IMG_3385.jpg

Back