Need Craftsman info

Its been a while since I reported about my Craftsman Lathe, all the parts are back on the lathe and plan to wire it to the new motor tonight and test making some chips.

I am looking into a quick change tool post, does anyone know what size I would need for this lathe, I feel a 100 tool post seems a but large for this type of machine.

I have an Aloris AXA on my 12" Craftsman and that seems about right. I know that a BXA will fit but seems to be a little large for the lathe.

The appropriate size of model of QCTP for the 101.07383 and other model Craftsman 12" and Atlas 10" (and later 12") is the AXA or in some brands 100 Series. This size was made for 3/8" tooling and can just take 1/2". The BXA is a bit too large, although it can be made to work, just barely. The 0XA is too small.

Well tonight was the night! I got the electric motor all wired the barrel switch working and all the gears messing properly, and put a new set of shims in the head stock Babbitt bearings. I got out some oil lite Bronze and decided to face a few bushings just to see how things work. I am very impressed with this little lathe, it isn't no material hog but it does leave a nice finish on the bronze. I finished 6 sets of bronze bushings for my Twin City Tractor very nice.

One note I did replace all the bushings in the counter shaft and I can tell they are a bit snug yet, but time and use will seat them in very nicely!

Sounds great! Your 101.07383 has come a long way!

I need to know what is the size of the detent ball behind the spring on the half nut assembly?

The ball is part number is 9-210 all of the way up through at least 1975 when my 3996 manual was printed. I believe that it must be a slip fit through the hole for it in the half nut guide. In any case, it should also be a slip fit into the matching hole in the apron. But don't stick it in there as you will have difficulty in getting it back out unless the spring is in there first. The parts drawings for the apron area on the 10F and 101.07403 don't show a set screw for adjusting the spring tension like the final two versions of the 12" have so I presume that the hole for the spring is a blind hole. The spring and ball part numbers are the same for early and late, except for the added set screw. I tried to get mine out a few minutes ago but couldn't find anything handy that I could use to drag the spring out of the hole. So at a guess, the ball and the spring are probably 3/16" diameter

Well, my guess was correct. Within an hour after writing the weasel-worded post above, I came across 9-210 on a 1950 price sheet. It is 3/16" diameter. And the spring will be the same diameter. No clue to the length, though. If you have to make a new one (Clausing, probably still has both parts, DWIW), I would guess that it will be about the thickness of the half-nut guide longer than the depth of the hole. Could probably be a little on the plus side of that, Just so you can compress it about one wire diameter into the hole without it going solic.

Greetings all!

After a few months of using my lathe, a relative passed and I received their engine lathe, it is a chinese Grizzley lathe maybe 2 years old, but it is a gear head lathe and already decked out with all the tooling.

This means my Craftsman lathe is now up for sale. I have put a lot of time and money in to the project and so far I have turned a lot of bronze bushings with the old girl, but I have to make room for the new lathe.

I have more than $1200 into it but I need the space and it needs to go. It has all the change gears and a box of extra's I got with the lathe when I purchased it. Make me an offer, I do have it priced to move.

It has a new rebuilt Motor, new countershaft and pulley's with new belts, new gear on the spindle for the change gears, the ways have been lapped by hand. Tail Stock needs work, I was in the process of rebuilding it.

The stand does not come with the lathe, need it for the new lathe. I can ship fastenal, and crate it up for a fee. I live in central Minnesota.

Contact me if your interested.

Last edited:
Back