Need dimensions for Bridgeport J head quill reverse clutch rod

Canus

Registered
Registered
While going through the disassembly, cleaning, inspection, etc. of my new to me 1972 Bridgeport J head mill I discovered that the quill reverse clutch rod will not engage all three detents (forward, neutral, reverse). Further inspection reveals the rod can not pull out far enough to engage the detent closest to the hole for the roll pin. It appears the previous owner fabricated a replacement reverse clutch rod and located the roll pin hole too close to the closest detent (1.900" from center of roll pin hole to center of closest detent). Based on my study of this part it appears the roll pin hole should be a little over 2" from the closest detent for all three detents to function. Does anyone out there have a reverse clutch rod they can measure to verify my dimensions. Any and all assistance will be appreciated.

I have an empty j-head sitting on the floor of my garage that I scavenged the quill power feed gears from. I didn't use that reverse rod. But the tip is broken off, at some point in its floor lying history, before I bought it, it likely rolled over and snapped the tip off. However, if I can get the rod out, I'll send it to you to copy. The rest of the rod should likely be fine minus the missing gnarled tip.

I have an empty j-head sitting on the floor of my garage that I scavenged the quill power feed gears from. I didn't use that reverse rod. But the tip is broken off, at some point in its floor lying history, before I bought it, it likely rolled over and snapped the tip off. However, if I can get the rod out, I'll send it to you to copy. The rest of the rod should likely be fine minus the missing gnarled tip.
That would be GREAT. Let me know when you get the rod out as all I really need are a couple of dimensions therefore you wouldn't need to send it to me.

Alright. I will try to pull it out tonight.

From the center(ish) of the rollpin hole to the center(ish) if the first detent is about 1.960"

IMG_20180320_222206.jpg

If you want, I can just send you this rod. The gnarled handle broke off but I just successfully retracted the broken thread. The threaded hole is fine. Just make a new handle and you're laughing.

If you want, I can just send you this rod. The gnarled handle broke off but I just successfully retracted the broken thread. The threaded hole is fine. Just make a new handle and you're laughing.
The dimension you have provided lets me know that my rods dimensions are incorrect and is all I need to fabricate a new rod. However, if you want to sell the rod let me know your price, if reasonable it will save me the trouble of fabrication.

I'm not going to sell you this tiny inanimate rod... Ita old, the detents are worn, use it in the machine or use it to make a new one. I leave the choice up to you. Give me your address. I'll send it off tomorrow.

FUEL_ROD.jpg

Is the rod all you need?

I think it's out of the same year j-head. The serial on the head is J31972. I assume that means it's a j3 head made in 1972?
15216024738945052138870531155598.jpg

Back