Need drill bit advice, again

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I read through a number of drill bit threads and I have one of the jobber HSS assortments, from Shars I think. What I'm thinking about doing now is to buy some really great ($$$) drill bits for aluminum for 4-5 specific sizes that I use often. I am looking for advice on the best choice. The HSS ones I have seem to smear and stick to 6061, it seems regardless of feed, speed, pecking, lube etc. I've tried new sharp ones too. I've heard that plain, polished carbide is a good choice. 90% of the time I seem to be drilling for roll-forming taps for 6-32 thru. 10-32 machine screws. Typically the holes are only 1/2 - 3/4" deep, blind holes. Often there are many of them per part.

The drilling is done on a small (RF-45) mill with the parts clamped securely. Sometimes CNC, sometimes using the quill. I usually use WD40 or some aluminum tapping fluid I might have nearby.

So
118 vs 135 degree?
Parabolic?
Carbide?
Other considerations?

Please help me spend some money.

I like parabolic. They get the chips out better,

Odd. I use HSS drills for drilling aluminum all the time and have no issues with galling or a built up edge. I usually use 118 degree jobber or screw machine drills, WD-40 and have had no problems. I use drills from Triumph, PTD, Dormer and Cleveland mostly. I use roll taps a lot in aluminum and don't understand why you're having issues. Maybe buy good drills?

Thinking about it some, it is only the small holes that give me the problems I'm describing. I appreciate your insights.

You might also try Tap Magic for Aluminim... have had good results with it...

Back