Need forklift advice

In the late '60s and early '70s Ford made an industrial forklift from a farm tractor. It was a Ford 5000 with the seat mounted backwards and the steering assembly moved to the back of the tractor, making it the front. They took a fairly large forklift mast and mounted it where the 3 point lift would mount. A friend of mine still has one of these. It will lift a 10,000 lb. 40 foot sea container. It does have weights on the front end weight bracket and also front wheel hub weights. It would not be hard to build an attachment similar to this for your new tractor. It should be able to lift around 5,000 lbs without too much effort.

This one is a Case, but it's the same idea:

http://twentywheels.com/imgs/a/b/a/...ks_fork_lift_bob_cat_loader_tractor_8_lgw.jpg

In the late '60s and early '70s Ford made an industrial forklift from a farm tractor. It was a Ford 5000 with the seat mounted backwards and the steering assembly moved to the back of the tractor, making it the front. They took a fairly large forklift mast and mounted it where the 3 point lift would mount. A friend of mine still has one of these. It will lift a 10,000 lb. 40 foot sea container. It does have weights on the front end weight bracket and also front wheel hub weights. It would not be hard to build an attachment similar to this for your new tractor. It should be able to lift around 5,000 lbs without too much effort.

This one is a Case, but it's the same idea:

http://twentywheels.com/imgs/a/b/a/...ks_fork_lift_bob_cat_loader_tractor_8_lgw.jpg

Yes, that's the "unicorn" I've been referring to. They call it a "rough terrain forklift." There are a few for sale locally and two or more of the following applies to all of them:
1. Price really high
2. In really rough shape, needs a lot of work
3. two-stage mast too tall to enter shop, and/or lift pallets inside shop without hitting ceiling
4. seller will not respond to calls/text/emails

After driving this tractor around my property with the forks attachment on the front end loader, doing some pallet moving/stacking exercises in the yard, and staring at the construction of the front end loader for a few hours total, I've reached the following conclusion(s):
1. I believe I can indeed modify this front end loader to get the forks in closer to the tractor, shortening the leverage distance and increasing the lifting capacity, however:
...a. that will decrease lifting height
...b. it will not be a simple modification and I don't yet have the CNC plasma table to make the parts I need
...c. the tractor is a lot longer when you're on top of it trying to move pallets, than when you're on the ground looking at it. It is very hard to be precise in stacking and moving the pallets from the front.
...d. It is very hard to see what you're doing when moving pallets from the front. Especially when the pallet is at ground level. The whole front of the tractor is in your line of sight; the hood, the grille guard, the front end loader, and the forklift attachment itself.
2. The forklift mast mounted to the 3-pt would most likely be a much better solution, because:
...a. It puts the whole machine into more of a forklift-type configuration, with the steering wheels far from the load and the pivot point closer to the load.
...b. It enables the use of a 3-stage mast which is almost a requirement for getting into the shop and lifting without punching holes in the ceiling.
...c. you can mount wheels under the mast to help take the load, rather than the tractor holding all the weight, enabling the "tractor-lift" to lift much more than the 2,700 lbs the 3-pt hitch is rated for.
...d. It (should) offer greatly improved line of sight to the pallet
...e. It will be able to lift much higher than the front-end loader

I'm looking around for forklift mast for sale locally. No hits yet on just a mast, but I have found several junk forklifts for sale under $2,000. I've decided to go in that direction in the near future, but not right now. No more rushing into things that cost money for a while. I will be patient and wait for just the right thing to pop up for just the right price, and then make my move. I'm hoping to find a 5,000lb or higher mast for $500 or less.

Just an idea here...have you thought about building an attachment using the forklift mast in place of your three point arms? They just pin on. You could build the mast to mount using the two pivot points under the axle housing and the center link. That would eliminate the three point arms, which would be the weak link on a tractor that size.

I'm about 250 miles west of you, near Brady. I saw a couple of old forklifts sitting somewhere recently. If I was to run across any in this area, is it too far for you?

Just an idea here...have you thought about building an attachment using the forklift mast in place of your three point arms? They just pin on. You could build the mast to mount using the two pivot points under the axle housing and the center link. That would eliminate the three point arms, which would be the weak link on a tractor that size.

I'm about 250 miles west of you, near Brady. I saw a couple of old forklifts sitting somewhere recently. If I was to run across any in this area, is it too far for you?

Yes I did consider not using the 3-pt and I agree that would make it a stronger setup. But if I do that then I lose the ability to tilt (I think). So what I'm currently planning is to have the weight of the mast and the load sitting on a separate set of wheels (probably wheels off the same forklift) and the tractor only serves to keep it pointed toward the sky, and the 3pt is used to tilt the mast. See pics attached. I think this would make the setup safer and easier on the tractor. Tradeoff would probably be reduction in turning radius (or brute force shoving those aux wheels sideways in a tight turn).

Fine print: I pulled this pictures from the web yesterday for my own reference; I didn't intend to re-share, so I didn't pay attention where they came from. I would give credit if I knew where it was due.

Brady TX is 308 miles from me. I would drive a 600mi round trip for a free mast, but if it costs anything at all, I would prefer to stay more local. I know a guy who finds stuff like this and he tells he has a lead on a Harvey flooded forklift he would sell me for $400 (which probably means he's getting it for free, or being paid to haul it off) so I would probably go for that. I appreciate the offer!

mast-closeup.jpg

dscf8219_4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice tractor. I use forks on my loader a lot. Your right, visibility is POOR. Modifying the loader to lift more might put too much load on the front axle. They no doubt design the loader around the axle capacity.
I've been wanting to build a forklift arrangement for the rear of my tractor too. Haven't come across a resonable priced mast yet. I'd be concerned trying to mount it on the 3 pt hitch. They're designed to withstand the pull of the tractor which really isn't that much. I built a backhoe for mine with a sub frame that mounts to brackets under the rear axle and extends forward to the loader frame. I'd do the same if I built a fork lift. I've seen pictures of 3 pt hitch mounded back hoes where the tractor castings were ripped out where the 3 point hitch mounted. They aren't designed to take the load a fork lift of the size your considering.

Greg

Nice tractor. I use forks on my loader a lot. Your right, visibility is POOR. Modifying the loader to lift more might put too much load on the front axle. They no doubt design the loader around the axle capacity.
I've been wanting to build a forklift arrangement for the rear of my tractor too. Haven't come across a resonable priced mast yet. I'd be concerned trying to mount it on the 3 pt hitch. They're designed to withstand the pull of the tractor which really isn't that much. I built a backhoe for mine with a sub frame that mounts to brackets under the rear axle and extends forward to the loader frame. I'd do the same if I built a fork lift. I've seen pictures of 3 pt hitch mounded back hoes where the tractor castings were ripped out where the 3 point hitch mounted. They aren't designed to take the load a fork lift of the size your considering.

Greg
Exactly, the 3 point system is not designed for the load of a fork lift . You need to make a frame that attaches rigidly to the rear axle, then attach the mast to this frame, arranging the mast to pivot at this point you could use the 3 point to operate the mast tilt, maybe 10 deg forward and back. You will need a separate hyd system for the mast lifting cylinder(s). A pump attached to the PTO with it's own oil supply and valves, you could also use this system with dedicated cylinders for mast tilt. The rear axle can carry a lot of weight. A lot of tractor axles have a large square section on each side with 4 decent sized bolt holes, ideal attaching the mast frame. arrange the seat to swivel around so you can see what you are doing.

I've dealt with the same issue, and had some success, fitting bigger solid tires on the front, drive tires makes big difference, i've removed the guards and cut some metal to make room and fitted the biggest tires i could fit, had to cut and weld in new centers in the rims, the forklift in your pictures had bigger tires they are worn down, if you have the time and can source used solid tires cheap may be worth modifying, i can't keep a forklift for me, i buy a broken, fix it up and just as i start to use it, some one makes me an offer too good to pass.

I said I wasn't going to spend any more money for a while but I lied. I bought that $400 Harvey flooded forklift.
20180628_080806.jpg
I paid another $400 to have it transported to my place 70mi away.
20180628_083440.jpg
On the way home I had a bright idea; have the wrecker move my CNC mill from my garage into the workshop. When I had it delivered about a year ago, it had just rained and the ground was too soft, so the driver wasn't able to put it in my shop. It's been cramped up in my garage this whole time. He took a shine to some rolling office chairs in my garage, so we made a deal; $20 and two rolling chairs to move the mill. 20180628_102350.jpg
20180628_103058.jpg
20180628_111806.jpg
20180628_105402.jpg

So now I have a mast, plus a bunch of other goodies (if they're any good): hydraulic pump, propane engine, lots of valves and hoses, etc. I may even try to see if I can resuscitate the forklift. I was told they didn't even try to fix it; it got flooded so they left it where it sat until now. That doesn't jive with the fact the engine cover is removed, but whatever, can't complain for $400.20180628_110151.jpg

Probably lifted the lid took one look and said nah, insurance claim. The engine is probably full of water and beyond help. but the hydraulics should be all good hopefully still full of oil.

Is it off road capable if so just throw a good second hand motor in there, otherwise take the parts you need for a full conversion on the tractor. Win, win.

Probably lifted the lid took one look and said nah, insurance claim.
Ha! Probably so.

The engine is probably full of water and beyond help. but the hydraulics should be all good hopefully still full of oil.
This is what I expect, but I'm still holding out hope for the engine. I've been waiting for a small engine to come around, that I can use to build a whole-home generator. I have 2007 Ford Focus that was flooded in Harvey, transmission sat full to the top with flood water for 25 days before I got around to doing anything with it. I flushed the tranny twice and miraculously the damn thing still runs and drives great. I've been waiting for that tranny to give up the ghost so I can repurpose the engine, but the stubborn bastard doesn't look like it's willing to accept that fate. So this forklift engine would be a fine substitute, especially considering it already runs on propane so I wouldn't have to do any conversion.

The forklift transmission is 100% confirmed full of water. Engine oil is water-free, but that's not 100% conclusive. When the wrecker started the forklift up the incline on the truck, hydraulic oil started pouring out the breather on the top of the reservoir. I take this to mean that the reservoir is over-filled (with water, likely). But even if the reservoir is full of water, assuming they were unable to get the engine to turn over, it should not have been pumped out into any of the circuits, and hopefully all the valves, hoses, and cylinders are still pristine inside.

A friend of mine just came over; a friend with more mechanical clout than I have, and he said that if there's water in the tranny, then there's water in the hydraulics, as they share the same oil. I can't agree with him though at this point, because since he left I went and traced out all the hoses, and I don't see anywhere that the two systems merge.

Is it off road capable if so just throw a good second hand motor in there, otherwise take the parts you need for a full conversion on the tractor. Win, win.
No, this is another warehouse forklift.

Back