Need forklift advice

strantor

Active User
Registered
I got a great deal on a forklift through one of my customers. I don't know much about forklifts and I think I might have gotten something unsuitable for my needs. My plans for this thing were to bring heavy stuff to/from the yard and the shop. This forklift won't drive 3ft across dry dirt or grass before it gets "stuck."

The first and most obvious problem is the tiny and smooth warehouse tires. They suck so bad that I swear I saw them lose traction sitting on dry level pavement with the forklift turned off.

The other problem is the forklift has a differential which isn't of the "limited slip" variety, and no suspension. So any time it gets on a surface of unspecified flatness, one wheel comes of the ground, and that wheel is invariably a drive wheel, and the drive wheel just spins in the air. "Stuck"

Do I need to send this forklift back? Trade it in? Is the problem with the forklift or the operator (me)? Is there anything I can do to make this forklift work for me?

Note: the forklift is "stuck" in all attached pictures. It got "stuck" 5 times on the trip from the street to the shop on the temporary wooden driveway.

20180611_142027_001.jpg

20180611_143512.jpg

20180611_190647.jpg

20180611_182434.jpg

If you are using a forklift off of hard surfaces like asphalt or concrete, all terrain types with pneumatic tires make more sense. They are bulkier, which makes for better traction, but they are also wider, which makes moving stuff around in a tight shop a lot more difficult. A skid steer or small tractor can also be a good idea depending on how heavy the loading will be and what other jobs you might have for it. You have a big place showing in the pics, so maybe a fork lift, skid steer, or tractor would be good to have around for other jobs as well. Fork lifts and tractors are wonderful when you need them, but they are also prone to lack of care by the owner, and tend to be cantankerous when actually needed after sitting idle outside for months. Renting one when needed negates taking care of it, and being able to borrow one from a neighbor can be worth a LOT of being kind in return.

Definitely designed for flat surfaces. If your needs require use on uneven surfaces, and you got this at a great price. I would sell it and find one with pneumatic tires. Mike

Can you fit larger dia wheels preferably pneumatic with tread. Alternatively trade it in on one more suitable for the intended use.

I talked to the guy I bought it from and he was very understanding. He is willing to take it back. I think I'm going to return it and instead buy two things:
1. Used tractor with pallet forks for getting things to/from the shop.
2. Used Straddle stacker for moving things around inside the shop.

I would love to have one of those 3 wheel forklift that hangs on the back of flatbed trailers, I have gravel driveway with a steep slope , couldn't believe my eyes when HD delivery guy used it to deliver a few heavy skids from the street all the way down the driveway and dropped them off right in front of the garage door, he went up the gravel driveway back and forth without slipping sliding not even once, the type I'm talking about looks similar to these :

linde24.jpgpl17914291-lifting_6_meters_3_ton_electric_forklift_triplex_wide_view_mast_small_electric_fork...jpg

I have an old Clarke 1960 ish, got if for free runs on propane and is gutless and can get stock everywhere 4 wheel smooth and small. but in the High desert that we live in the ground is normal very hard and I can ride it all over the fearly level portions of the property, I did pick up a tire tread cutting tool and was thinking of grooving the tires. also I am good till my front tire goes over a gopher hole and it can sink in and stuck. learned and a more careful where I go. Make life easier for my age to get some jobs done. Check what the limitations are on your bucket for your tractor.

On dirt and sod only wide balloon tire lifts will work. We have two next door they're air tires and if they hit the dirt or sand they sink and spin. The type sod farms use and big delivery services have that hang on the trailer behind a semi is what your talking about. If you had a bobcat or that type tractor it will go most anywhere . But we've even had people get them buried and stuck . Fork attachments are plentiful , you could build a four wheel jib crane with a hitch and use a garden tractor to move items.

Back