Need general opinion of this set

Hi Big_John,
It wasn't anything special but of course it wasn't free.
It worked perfect till it hit the floor.[h=1]TÜRLEN Precision TEST DIAL INDICATOR 7 JEWELS .0005" 0-15-0 AT203721[/h]Have a great day!
Ed

Hi Big_John,
It wasn't anything special but of course it wasn't free.
It worked perfect till it hit the floor.TÜRLEN Precision TEST DIAL INDICATOR 7 JEWELS .0005" 0-15-0 AT203721

Have a great day!
Ed

Well..... I can't say I'm familiar with that brand. It looks like a Tesa/B&S clone.

All these indicators are built very similar. There's usually a couple things that go wrong when they get dropped. Sometimes it's an easy fix and sometimes it's not.

First, does the indicator work at all?

If it works, does it stick anywhere? Does the needle go back to the same spot? Does it "skip" as the needle swings around?

Does it make crunching noises as it moves?

Is there a lot of side play in the indicator tip? Is the tip loose? (you'd be surprised at how many people don't check this first)

The main thing wrong is the end has sloop in it but everything seems tight. The bushings on the tip seem ok and tight. Inside evrything looks ok but then I have no idea what it looked like before. The one thing the drop did do was bent the needle but after all it just points at a number.

Ed

The main thing wrong is the end has sloop in it but everything seems tight. The bushings on the tip seem ok and tight. Inside evrything looks ok but then I have no idea what it looked like before. The one thing the drop did do was bent the needle but after all it just points at a number.

Ed

The indicator tip could just need adjustment. You can take up the slop with the adjusting screw. It could also be loose from a broken jeweled bearing. That happens.... But if it hit hard enough to bend the needle, then it's most likely toast.

Thanks for your input big_john. That is what I kind of figured....it is toast.
One day I'll replace it but for now I am just going to use the regular indicator and trust me even that is more accurate than I need for the hack jobs I do. :shotgun:

Thanks again and have a great day!
Ed

Back