[How do I?] Need head motor specs

Pearldragonz

Registered
Registered
I recently picked up a barely used Jet HVM-2 horizontal/vertical mill for a really good price. That price came with an issue though. The original internal electronic switches and relays had been removed from the machine to make way for a set of VFD drives. That is all the farther that the previous owner got on the project. So I now have to finish the VFD install. I need the specs for the main motor on the head. All I know is that it is a 2 HP 3 phase. The plate on the motor is missing so I don't have RPM's or the frequency to calculate how many poles are in the motor. I need the # of poles to finish programming the VFD. Jet's website is in no way helpful as they only deal with newer equipment. Mine was manufatured in 1983. I can't find any useful info on the internet let alone a source for the correct manual. Any help with this matter would be helpful even if it's just a friend of a friend who knows a friend that has the HVM-2 mill and can still read the motor plate.

You might try Yahoo, see if they have a Jet owner's group

I guess I would call it a 4 pole (1800 RPM) and apply 60 Hz to it and see how fast it turns. If it runs around 1800 RPM then it is a 4 pole, but if it runs at 3600 RPM then it is a 2 pole. But if it runs at 1200 RPM, then it's a 6 pole.

Back