need help again

Hopefully not to complicate this too much, but I also use the ruler method on the back side of turned work to set the tool height for boring. The ruler will not fit in the bore, but the back side of the work can be a surrogate. The readings will be opposite in this mode, but still intuitively the same. And actually, there are times when you do NOT want the cutter to be on center. Some cutoff operations, and some boring operations come immediately to mind, and there are others as well.. For some work, the simple ruler method is not accurate enough, stuff like cutting a Morse taper or dialing in to a precise diameter, internal or external. For average turning, the rule against the turned work is plenty close enough.

Bob, I never knew about setting a different tool height for turning Morse Taper. What should I look for and how do you measure tool height in this case?

Glenn

If top of ruler is pointed towards you, it's too low.
If top of ruler points towards back of machine, it's too high.

Bob, I never knew about setting a different tool height for turning Morse Taper. What should I look for and how do you measure tool height in this case?

Glenn
The tool (and indicator for setting it up) need to be set to the exact lathe center height to cut an accurate taper. I was pointing that out as the opposite of "good enough."

Eyeball it, face off the piece, and center your tool on the dimple it leaves behind. This isn't rocket science and not as big a deal as some make it out to be.

I am not a professional Youtube "How To" video producer.
I have worked in machine shops full time for 25+ years so the way I do it is probably wrong. Place a piece of stock in the chuck/collet, choose a tool that will face and run it across and adjust the height until the nub disappears, measure with a ruler from the ways to the tool and write this value on the front of the machine. Use this height to set the tools and it will be more then close enough for general lathe work and is far simpler.
YUPP it's the way our vokie teachers taught us . And that was with old style rocker tool post to boot. In that way the old tool post was better.

For most work I use the 6" ruler, I have a vertical line drawn on the headstock to sight against,makes vertical easier to see for me.
DHJ

Back