Need help 'building or adapting' a tail stock for 12" Logan

Investigator

Registered
Registered
What I have is a 12" Logan turret lathe, a 2537. It is great and I have done some good work with it. That said, I never went looking for a turret lathe. I had always wanted and looked for a screw cutting lathe, and like most folks I stumbled into what I have. I'm already in the process of adapting the double tool post cross slide to use a compound.

What I need now is a way to turn between centers. I have been looking for a 12" tail stock with no success. I am wondering if I can 'adapt' a 10" tailstock to work. if so, can anyone tell me what I need to do to make it happen. 20180202_164918 (1).jpg

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
Registered
why cant you install a live center into the turret and just use that in place of the tailstock?

Investigator

Registered
Registered
why cant you install a live center into the turret and just use that in place of the tailstock?
I'm not sure I can or can't. My thought was it would be tough to hold enough tension on the part to turn it. Can I do that?

Latinrascalrg1

Registered
Registered
I'm not sure I can or can't. My thought was it would be tough to hold enough tension on the part to turn it. Can I do that?
I dont know for sure but I would think there would be a way to lock down the turret once you have it in the correct position! Or am I misunderstanding how the turret is mounted to the ways?

Investigator

Registered
Registered
Lots of these were made. Watch for one being parted out.
Been watching for a couple years.............

At this point, I'd be really close to finding someone who wants a turret and dual tool post cross slide and just swapping.

ezduzit

Active User
Registered
Been watching for a couple years.............

At this point, I'd be really close to finding someone who wants a turret and dual tool post cross slide and just swapping.
Doubtful that anyone would let go of a tailstock off a fully functioning lathe. There are several Logan 10" tailstocks on eBay right now. Run some wanted ads.

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
It's within the realm to build a tail stock using a weldment. It would be an interesting project. The only difficulty would be alignment
as it would have to be straight with the bore of the lathe and of the right height of course. I would use steel and on the
underside apply some cast iron "shoes" bolted on to the weldment.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Over on _that_ other site there is a thread from 2014 for a Logan 200 that shows a turret with a couple of centers in it.
-=- LINK -=-
Interesting to note that when I joined over there in the early part on the century I was pretty well flamed for posting a question about my 210...
My how times change. . .

HarryJM

Registered
Registered
According to the Logan FAQ “Generally speaking, the beds are interchangeable for 10" and 11" and 12” Logan Lathes.” The 10” tailstock is composed of two major casting, the tailstock base (12) and tailsock top (17). So now how to add a spacer between the base and top to get it to align with the headstock center?
tailstock.png

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock