Need help 'building or adapting' a tail stock for 12" Logan

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What I have is a 12" Logan turret lathe, a 2537. It is great and I have done some good work with it. That said, I never went looking for a turret lathe. I had always wanted and looked for a screw cutting lathe, and like most folks I stumbled into what I have. I'm already in the process of adapting the double tool post cross slide to use a compound.

What I need now is a way to turn between centers. I have been looking for a 12" tail stock with no success. I am wondering if I can 'adapt' a 10" tailstock to work. if so, can anyone tell me what I need to do to make it happen.20180202_164918 (1).jpg

why cant you install a live center into the turret and just use that in place of the tailstock?

why cant you install a live center into the turret and just use that in place of the tailstock?

I'm not sure I can or can't. My thought was it would be tough to hold enough tension on the part to turn it. Can I do that?

I'm not sure I can or can't. My thought was it would be tough to hold enough tension on the part to turn it. Can I do that?
I dont know for sure but I would think there would be a way to lock down the turret once you have it in the correct position! Or am I misunderstanding how the turret is mounted to the ways?

Lots of these were made. Watch for one being parted out.

Been watching for a couple years.............

At this point, I'd be really close to finding someone who wants a turret and dual tool post cross slide and just swapping.

Been watching for a couple years.............

At this point, I'd be really close to finding someone who wants a turret and dual tool post cross slide and just swapping.

Doubtful that anyone would let go of a tailstock off a fully functioning lathe. There are several Logan 10" tailstocks on eBay right now. Run some wanted ads.

Doubtful that anyone would let go of a tailstock off a fully functioning lathe. There are several Logan 10" tailstocks on eBay right now. Run some wanted ads.

Right, That's what I'm asking about. How to adapt one of the smaller tailstocks to work on the 10"

It's within the realm to build a tail stock using a weldment. It would be an interesting project. The only difficulty would be alignment
as it would have to be straight with the bore of the lathe and of the right height of course. I would use steel and on the
underside apply some cast iron "shoes" bolted on to the weldment.

Over on _that_ other site there is a thread from 2014 for a Logan 200 that shows a turret with a couple of centers in it.
-=- LINK -=-
Interesting to note that when I joined over there in the early part on the century I was pretty well flamed for posting a question about my 210...
My how times change. . .

Back